Solving Arched Beam Homework - Bridge Weight Analysis

• Thread starter Lambro6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beams
In summary, the conversation involved a group project of building a bridge and analyzing the math behind it for a poster. The student included photos and a drawing of the forces, but was unsure how to solve for the 12kg weight. They were on the right track with using the equations of static equilibrium and would need to consider the forces acting on the entire bridge to find the specific forces on the 12kg weight. It was recommended to consult with a teacher or mentor for further guidance and accuracy.
Lambro6

Homework Statement

We've built a bridge for a group project and we're trying to analyse the maths behind it to put on a poster.
I've included photos of the bridge, and a drawing of what I think the forces are, but I'm unsure how to solve it.
Our bridge broke at the 13th kilogram weight, so we're trying to solve for the 12kg weight.

Homework Equations

Not entirely sure which equations apply, but I assume;
ƩFx=0, ƩFy=0, ƩM=0 ??

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure I've got the drawing right, so a solution could be unreliable.

xrf9d.jpg

16bbo5g.jpg

t9a551.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for sharing your project and asking for help with the analysis. It's great to see young minds engaging in hands-on projects like building a bridge.

Firstly, great job on including photos and a drawing of the forces. This is a crucial step in understanding the problem and finding a solution.

Based on the information provided, it seems like you are on the right track with the equations you have listed. These are known as the equations of static equilibrium, and they are used to solve problems involving forces acting on an object that is not moving.

To solve for the 12kg weight, you will need to use these equations along with the information you have about the bridge breaking at the 13th kilogram weight. This means that at the point of failure, the sum of all the horizontal forces acting on the bridge must be zero, the sum of all the vertical forces must be zero, and the sum of all the moments (or torques) must be zero.

To find the specific forces acting on the 12kg weight, you will need to consider the forces acting on the entire bridge and then use proportionality to determine the forces acting on the individual weights. This is where your drawing will come in handy, as it will help you visualize the forces and their directions.

I would also recommend consulting with your teacher or a mentor for further guidance and to ensure that your calculations are accurate.

Overall, it seems like you are on the right track and with some careful analysis and calculations, you should be able to find a solution for the 12kg weight. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to reach out for help if needed. Good luck with your project!

FAQ: Solving Arched Beam Homework - Bridge Weight Analysis

1. How do you determine the weight of a bridge?

The weight of a bridge can be determined by conducting a bridge weight analysis. This involves taking measurements of the bridge's materials, including the type and quantity of steel, concrete, and other components. These measurements are then used to calculate the total weight of the bridge.

2. What is the purpose of solving arched beam homework?

The purpose of solving arched beam homework is to analyze the structural integrity and weight distribution of a bridge. This analysis helps engineers determine if the bridge is capable of supporting its own weight and the weight of vehicles and other loads, ensuring the safety and stability of the structure.

3. What factors affect the weight of a bridge?

The weight of a bridge is affected by several factors, including the design and materials used, the span and length of the bridge, and the type and number of vehicles that will use the bridge. Environmental factors such as wind, earthquakes, and temperature changes can also impact the weight of a bridge.

4. How does solving arched beam homework help in bridge construction?

Solving arched beam homework helps in bridge construction by providing engineers with crucial information about the weight distribution and structural integrity of the bridge. This information helps them make informed decisions about the design and materials used, ensuring that the bridge is safe and capable of supporting its intended use.

5. What are the potential consequences of not conducting a bridge weight analysis?

Not conducting a bridge weight analysis can have serious consequences, including structural failure, collapse, and potential harm to people and property. Without a thorough understanding of the weight distribution and structural integrity of a bridge, it is difficult to ensure its safety and stability, putting the lives of those who use the bridge at risk.

Back