Solving Ball Throw Problem: Velocity & Distance for Boy & Dog

• Thread starter k2var2002
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, a boy throws a ball for his dog while standing in a tree at 11.0m above the ground. The boy throws the ball at an angle of 40.0° above the horizontal with a velocity of 7.50m/s. The distance and velocity of the ball are calculated using equations y=yo+voy*t-1/2gt^2 and t= √(2y/g)^2. The calculated time is 1.5s and the distance is 4.82m. However, the accuracy of these calculations is questioned.
k2var2002
1. A boy 11.0m above the ground in a tree throws a ball for his dog, who is standing
right below the tree and starts running the instant the ball is thrown.
If the boy throws the ball upward at 40.0° above the horizontal, at 7.50m/s .
What is velocity (m/s)? and distance (m)?

2. y=yo+voy*t-1/2gt^2

y= yo+sin[tex]\theta[/tex]*t-1/2gt^2

1/2gt/yo= voy

R= Voy*t=Vosin[tex]\theta[/tex]*t

t= [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex](2y/g)^2

3. I plugged the known variables into the equations i listed above. First for time, I got t=1.5s. Then I used the angle and time found to find distance, R=(7.5)(sin40)=4.82 m. Which doesn't make sense to me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-Kyle

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Kyle! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
k2var2002 said:
2. y=yo+voy*t-1/2gt^2

How did you get t= √(2y/g)^2 from that? :confused:

t= √(2y/g)^2 is just a derivation of some sort that my professor had given us to figure time in 2d motion.

Would t=Vo/-a work from the base equation Vy=Vo+at?

k2var2002 said:
t= √(2y/g)^2 is just a derivation of some sort that my professor had given us to figure time in 2d motion.

That only works if v0 = 0 … just look at the original equation.

Stop looking for shortcuts!

Related to Solving Ball Throw Problem: Velocity & Distance for Boy & Dog

What is the "Ball Throw Problem"?

The "Ball Throw Problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the velocity and distance of a ball thrown by a boy and a dog. It is a commonly used problem in introductory physics classes to illustrate the concepts of projectile motion and relative motion.

What is the importance of solving the Ball Throw Problem?

Solving the Ball Throw Problem helps in understanding the fundamental principles of projectile motion and relative motion, which are essential in many real-life scenarios, such as sports, engineering, and transportation. It also helps in developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

How is the velocity of the ball calculated in the Ball Throw Problem?

The velocity of the ball can be calculated using the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken. In the Ball Throw Problem, the velocity of the ball can be calculated by measuring the distance traveled and the time taken by the ball in the air.

What factors affect the distance and velocity of the ball in the Ball Throw Problem?

The distance and velocity of the ball in the Ball Throw Problem are affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the throw, the angle of the throw, the air resistance, and the gravitational pull. The weight and size of the ball can also affect its trajectory and velocity.

How can the Ball Throw Problem be applied in real-life situations?

The Ball Throw Problem can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the trajectory of a ball in sports like baseball or football, designing projectiles for military purposes, understanding the motion of objects in space, and predicting the landing of objects thrown from a moving vehicle.