Solving Basic Electricity Questions - 4q Net Charge

In summary, the question asks what the net charge would be if three particles with different charges touch and are then separated. The answer is 4q. However, there is a follow-up question about the final charge on particle C after it touches both A and B separately. The answer in the book is 1.5, but the person asking the question got 1.333... and wonders if they did something wrong. After some discussion, it is determined that the question is ambiguous and the book's answer is correct if the particles start with their initial charges in the second scenario. The person asking the question thanks the others for their help.
duki
Hey everyone,

There is a question in my book that asks if three particles touch and are then separated (A- +5q, B - -q, C - 0) what is the net charge? I know the answer is 4q, but it also states the following:

Particle C touches A and is removed. Particle C then touches B and is removed. What is the final charge on C? I got 1.333... but the answer in the back of the book says 1.5. Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you could explain how you got 1.33... we could help find where you went wrong.

i did net charge 4q / 3

The question is a little ambiguous. You are correct if the first thing you do is touch them all together, as in your question #1. However, the book's answer is correct if you start again in question #2 with the balls having their initial (different) charge states. Do the problem again with that assumption, and you'll get the correct answer.

ok. It works like that. I wonder why they didn't word it correctly. It's worded to do it how I did the first time...

Anyways, thanks for your help!

FAQ: Solving Basic Electricity Questions - 4q Net Charge

1. What is net charge?

Net charge is the overall electric charge of an object, which is determined by the number of positive and negative charges present. If there are more positive charges, the net charge will be positive, and if there are more negative charges, the net charge will be negative.

2. How do you calculate net charge?

To calculate net charge, you need to add up all the individual charges of the object. If there are multiple positive charges, add them together. Similarly, if there are multiple negative charges, add them together. Then, subtract the sum of negative charges from the sum of positive charges to get the net charge.

3. What is the unit of net charge?

The unit of net charge is the Coulomb (C). This is the same unit as the unit of electric charge, as net charge is simply the overall electric charge of an object.

4. How does net charge affect electric fields?

Net charge determines the strength and direction of electric fields. Objects with a positive net charge will create an outward electric field, while objects with a negative net charge will create an inward electric field. The magnitude of the electric field is directly proportional to the net charge of the object.

5. Can net charge be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of charge, net charge cannot be created or destroyed. This means that the net charge of a closed system will always remain constant. However, net charge can be transferred from one object to another through various processes such as conduction, induction, or friction.

Back