Solving Basic Stokes Theorem Homework on Ellipse

In summary, the problem involves using Stokes' theorem to find the circulation of the vector field F around the curve C, which is an ellipse in the xy plane. The vector field is given by F=x^2i+2xj+z^2k and the curve C is defined by the equation 4x^2+y^2=4. The normal to the curve is k and the dot product of curl(F) and the normal is to be integrated over the interior of the ellipse. This can be simplified to finding the area of the ellipse using a formula.
cos(e)

Homework Statement

Use the surface integral in stokes theorem to find circulation of field F around the curve C.
F=x^2i+2xj+z^2k
C: the ellipse 4x^2+y^2=4 in the xy plane, counterclockwise when viewed from above

Homework Equations

stokes theroem: cirlulation=double integral of nabla X F.n d(sigma)

The Attempt at a Solution

i got nabla cross F is 2k
for the normal, aint it just k? coz I am getting confused by if i let g(x,y,z)=4x^2+y^2-4=0 (the elispe)
isnt n=grad(g)=8xi+2yj
im confused with this

also should i parameterize the ellipse?
im not sure how I am meant to set the double integral out?
im really lost, any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Right, curl(F)=2k and n=k. What's the dot product? You want to integrate that dx*dy over the interior of the ellipse 4*x^2+y^2=4. From here on the problem is not that different than finding the area of an ellipse or a circle using a double integral. Take a deep breath and try it. If you're clever, you'll notice the integrand is a constant so you don't have to integrate at all if you know a formula for the area of the region.

thanks, its just isn't the normal grad(g), or am i getting this confused with somethig else?

You are getting it confused with something else. You want the normal to the region in the x-y plane, which is k, as you said. grad(4x^2+y^2-4) is normal to the elliptical cylinder 4x^2+y^2-4=0.

Last edited:

FAQ: Solving Basic Stokes Theorem Homework on Ellipse

What is Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem is a fundamental theorem in multivariable calculus that relates the line integral of a vector field over a curve to the surface integral of the curl of the vector field over the surface bounded by that curve.

How is Stokes Theorem used to solve problems on Ellipses?

Stokes Theorem can be used to solve problems on Ellipses by allowing us to convert a line integral over a curve into a surface integral over the surface bounded by that curve. This makes it easier to calculate the value of the integral.

Can Stokes Theorem be applied to any shape?

Yes, Stokes Theorem can be applied to any shape as long as the necessary conditions are met, such as the surface being smooth and the vector field being differentiable over the surface.

What are the steps involved in solving a problem on Ellipses using Stokes Theorem?

The steps involved in solving a problem on Ellipses using Stokes Theorem are: 1) Identify the curve and surface involved in the problem, 2) Calculate the curl of the vector field, 3) Set up the surface integral, 4) Use the parametric equations of the ellipse to evaluate the integral, and 5) Simplify the resulting expression to obtain the final answer.

Can Stokes Theorem be applied to problems in real-world scenarios?

Yes, Stokes Theorem can be applied to real-world scenarios, such as calculating the flow of a fluid or the work done by a force on a moving object. It is a powerful tool in solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve vector fields and surfaces.