Solving Beam Theory & Statics Problems with Difficulties

• Thread starter CalebP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary: I'm 99% sure my methods are wrong above. I run into similar problems on the LHS of C. I've tried splitting that one further into parts AD and DB, and replacing the bend by axial reactions Nad in both. I get a little further here, but again don't even use the 6m height of the bar, so I'm wrong somewhere.maybe try solving the problem without using the reactions, and orienting the diagrams using the x and y components instead?In summary, Caleb is having difficulty solving a problem with two unknowns and two separable beams. He has found that all forces are equal and opposite on the right part of the beam, but he has not used the moment equation
CalebP
I'm having quite a bit of difficulty with the question posted - even from part 1.

I understand I have 6 unknowns and 2 seperable beams so we're statically determinate here. I can split the pictured beam into two parts at the hinge and apply the static equations twice.

On the right part I find that all forces are equal and opposite (Rbx = Rcx, Rby = Rcy, if drawn in the correct directions), however I notice I never used the moment equation or the fact that the reactions at B occur 3m higher than C - I think this is my first pitfall. Also, taking moments about any point on the RHS FBD results in all reactions = 0. For example, ƩM(c) = 0 ⇔ Rby*3 = 0 Rby = 0.

I'm around 99% sure my methods are wrong above. I run into similar problems on the LHS of C. I've tried splitting that one further into parts AD and DB, and replacing the bend by axial reactions Nad in both. I get a little further here, but again don't even use the 6m height of the bar, so I'm wrong somewhere.

I can't do part 2 without the reactions first. I'm sure I'd run into difficulty though due to those turns... how am I supposed to orientate SF and BM diagrams like this. On beams they purely run in the x-direction to the right, do I draw SF/BM diagrams along the y-axis for these beams?

I can probably get the displacement of D due to δ = NL/EA.

The last part is simply (I think) discovering the centroid of that cross-section - which I can do.

I think my greatest misunderstanding here is applying the sum of moments equation multidirectionally.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• statics.png
    statics.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi CalebP! Welcome to PF! :smile:
CalebP said:
On the right part I find that all forces are equal and opposite (Rbx = Rcx, Rby = Rcy, if drawn in the correct directions), however I notice I never used the moment equation or the fact that the reactions at B occur 3m higher than C …

Sometimes it's helpful to ignore the x and y components, and to consider the whole vector.

Using moments, what can you say about the line of application of the whole reaction force RB ? :wink:

Grrr still can't solve this question.

If I separate this into two FBDs the RHS of the structure tells me no matter what I try that all of the reactions in both directions are equal and opposite, and the same value.

I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what, but every time I try to reapply my found values to the entire structure I know I get the wrong answer.

I've drawn this so many times now :( Is it true to say that there are no reactions in the x-direction? (this HAS to be true yeah?! Because the RHS of the hinge at B shows the x-directional forces at supports B and C are equal, and then the x-direction sum across the whole structure forces the x-reaction at A to be zero)

If the above is wrong I don't get this at all.

CalebP said:
Is it true to say that there are no reactions in the x-direction? (this HAS to be true yeah?! Because the RHS of the hinge at B shows the x-directional forces at supports B and C are equal, and then the x-direction sum across the whole structure forces the x-reaction at A to be zero)

No, the x-reaction at A will also be equal to those at B and C, won't it? :wink:

Take moments about C for the RHS …

what can you say about the moment (about C) of the reaction force at B? :smile:

If I take moments about C on the RHS only, I get:

3Rby - 3Rbx = 0 => Rby = Rbx

If I sum the y's I get Rby = Rcy and Rcx = Rbx in the x-direction. The boundary conditions don't only for any moments...

Is there a concentrated moment = 3Rby where the beam turns?

CalebP said:
If I take moments about C on the RHS only, I get:

3Rby - 3Rbx = 0 => Rby = Rbx

[STRIKE]correct[/STRIKE] :smile:

oops! not correct, should be Rby = -Rbx

but an easier way of seeing this is to see that the total reaction force at B must have zero moment about C, so it must go through C (ie at 45°) :wink:
If I sum the y's I get Rby = Rcy and Rcx = Rbx in the x-direction. The boundary conditions don't only for any moments...

Is there a concentrated moment = 3Rby where the beam turns?

i don't understand any of this :confused:

you now know the total reaction force at B is at 45°

so using the vertical 5 kN, and the same principle, what is the direction of the total reaction force at A ?​

Last edited:
The way I have it set-up up, the LHS has 3 unknowns as Rby = Rbx (or Rb@45deg)..

Forces in x: Rax = Rbx (=Rby)

Forces in y: 5 + Rby = Ray

Moments about B: 5*1.5 = 6Rax + 3Ray

That gets me 4.166 in the y-dirn and -0.833 in the x..

So the final resultant at A would be 4.249kN 78.7 deg from the x-axis..

I now have a solution where the LHS works out and so does the RHS, but as a whole it doesn't. I was under the impression the equilibrium equations needed to be satisfied for the whole structure as well (maybe this was my mistake)

CalebP said:
I now have a solution where the LHS works out and so does the RHS, but as a whole it doesn't. I was under the impression the equilibrium equations needed to be satisfied for the whole structure as well (maybe this was my mistake)

how does it not work out (A and C and 5kN) ? :confused:

For the structure overall the sum of the forces do not equal zero. In the x-direction my calculated reactions are 0.833, -0.833 and 0.8333 at A, B and C respectively.

I have 4.167, 0.833, -0.833 at A, B and C with a -5 force also.

So my equations are satisfied on each side, but overall they do not :S

Ok I don't know what I was doing. My algebra must suck.

I finally just grabbed all 6 equations and solved it online:

1 0 -1 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 1 0 0 5
0 0 6 3 0 0 7.5
0 0 0 0 3 -3 0
0 0 1 0 -1 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 -1 0

This gets me all reactive forces = 0 besides two vertical reactions at 2.5kn in the y-direction. Is this correct?

but you can't include B, that's internal! :smile:

(or if you do, you must include B twice, in opposite directions, making zero)

CalebP said:
This gets me all reactive forces = 0 besides two vertical reactions at 2.5kn in the y-direction. Is this correct?

no!

your original result was correct :rolleyes:

a quicker way of seeing this is to say that the three LHS forces must all go through the same point, which is clearly at (1.5,7.5), so that RAy must be 5 times RAx :smile:

Related to Solving Beam Theory & Statics Problems with Difficulties

1. What is beam theory and why is it important?

Beam theory is a set of principles and equations used to analyze the behavior of beams under different loads and supports. It is important because it allows engineers to design safe and efficient structures, such as bridges and buildings.

2. What are some common difficulties encountered when solving beam theory problems?

Some common difficulties include understanding and applying the correct equations, accounting for all relevant forces and moments, and dealing with complex geometry or loading conditions.

3. How can I improve my skills in solving beam theory problems?

Practice and repetition are key to improving your skills. Start with simple problems and gradually increase the difficulty. Also, make sure to thoroughly understand the underlying principles and equations.

4. Are there any software programs or tools that can assist with solving beam theory problems?

Yes, there are many software programs that can assist with solving beam theory problems, such as MATLAB, ANSYS, and SolidWorks. These programs can provide visual representations of the beam's behavior and help with complex calculations.

5. Can beam theory be applied to real-world situations?

Absolutely. Beam theory is used extensively in the design and analysis of structures in the real world. It is a fundamental concept in engineering and is essential for ensuring the safety and stability of buildings, bridges, and other structures.