Solving Biot Savart Law Homework: Infinitely Long Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Biot Savart Law to derive the magnetic field formula for an infinitely long straight wire carrying a current. The conversation also includes a hint for solving the integral and clarifying the limits of the integral. The final formula is B = (u0*i)/(2*pi*R).
mastertan

Homework Statement

Using the Biot Savart Law

dB = (u0*i*ds X r)/(4*pi*r^3)

*X is cross product

show that the magnetic field due to an infinitely long straight wire carrying a current i ampere is given by

B = (u0*i)/(2*pi*r)

Homework Equations

Hint: integral (Rds/(s^2+R^2)^3/2) = s/(R*(s^2+R^2)^1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Eventually I got something like

B = (i*u0*s)/(4pi*R*(s^2+R^2)^1/2)

which I am pretty sure is correct,
but I don't know how to make that equation become

B = (u0*i)/(2*pi*R)

Any ideas? (I hope the question and all the equations make sense)
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you plug the limits of the integral in?

I haven't put in the limits. I wasn't too sure what to do.

What are the limits on your integral?

Is it -infinite and +infinite?

Yes. You're told the wire is infinitely long, so s runs from -∞ to +∞, so your expression for B should be

[tex]B = \left.\frac{i \mu_0 s}{4\pi r\sqrt{s^2+r^2}}\right|_{-\infty}^\infty \equiv \lim_{a\to\infty} \left.\frac{i \mu_0 s}{4\pi r\sqrt{s^2+r^2}}\right|_{-a}^a [/tex]

Last edited:
Ah I get it now. Thanks very much for helping me out.

FAQ: Solving Biot Savart Law Homework: Infinitely Long Wire

1. What is the Biot Savart Law?

The Biot Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire. It states that the magnetic field intensity at a point in space is directly proportional to the current in the wire, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point.

2. What is an infinitely long wire?

An infinitely long wire is a theoretical concept in which the length of a wire is assumed to be infinite. This means that the wire extends infinitely in both directions, and therefore, the magnetic field created by the wire also extends infinitely.

3. How do you use the Biot Savart Law to solve for an infinitely long wire?

To solve for an infinitely long wire using the Biot Savart Law, you need to determine the current in the wire, the distance from the wire to the point of interest, and the angle between the wire and the point. Then, you can use the formula B = (μ0*I)/(2π*r) to calculate the magnetic field intensity at the point.

4. What is the difference between an infinitely long wire and a finite wire?

The main difference between an infinitely long wire and a finite wire is that the magnetic field created by an infinitely long wire extends infinitely, while the magnetic field created by a finite wire is limited to a certain distance. Additionally, the formula for calculating the magnetic field intensity is different for an infinitely long wire compared to a finite wire.

5. Can the Biot Savart Law be used to solve for a non-straight wire?

Yes, the Biot Savart Law can be used to solve for a non-straight wire. However, the calculations become more complex as the wire becomes more curved. In these cases, it is often easier to break the wire into smaller straight segments and use the Biot Savart Law to calculate the magnetic field created by each segment, then sum the results to find the total magnetic field.