Solving Boat Race Betting Problem: What's the Logic?

• Thread starter Cody007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the speaker is seeking help in a game where they bet on ships with fake money. The game involves 8 ships with different statistics such as sail power and oar power. The speaker has tried various strategies but none have been successful and they are asking for others' thoughts. They also suggest using machine learning to improve betting strategies.
Cody007
Im not really sure what type of problem this is so I put it here, I am new to these forums and want to see if anyone can help me.

I am playing this game where you bet fake money on these ships that will race after you bet, there are 8 ships you can support and you can support all if you want. They give a bunch of numbers which are the statistics of the ship, like oar power sail power etc. I tried every sequence to try and figure out a logical way of betting on the right ship but none seem right; I want to see if anyone else can figure it out.

Boat-----------------Sail Power--------------------------Oar Power-----------------Return Power
1. Boat 1---------------4.3---------------------------------3.7-------------------------5.6
2. Boat 2---------------3.7---------------------------------3.3-------------------------6.7
3. Boat 3---------------4.9---------------------------------4.3-------------------------4.2
4. Boat 4---------------4.4---------------------------------3.6-------------------------5.6
5. Boat 5---------------4.4---------------------------------3.8-------------------------5.4
6. Boat 6---------------3.7---------------------------------3.4-------------------------6.6
7. Boat 7---------------3.8---------------------------------3.7-------------------------6.2
8. Boat 8---------------3.5---------------------------------4.0-------------------------6.2
Boat 7 is the Winner
I can't think of any ways of doing this logically, is it random? What are your guys thoughts?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are too many possible explanations which make seven the winner to point out one.

It could be a mixture of random and non-random and what they aren't providing you with are the environmental variables for the race. Like "sail power" might be more beneficial on a race that has more wind but useless on one with no wind.

You could just assume you know nothing about what those variables do in the program and run some sort of machine learning / gradient descent to find better and better betting strategies over time.

FAQ: Solving Boat Race Betting Problem: What's the Logic?

1. What is the boat race betting problem?

The boat race betting problem is a scenario where individuals place bets on the outcome of a boat race. The goal is to correctly predict which boat will win the race and potentially earn a profit from the bet.

2. What is the logic behind solving the boat race betting problem?

The logic behind solving the boat race betting problem involves analyzing various factors such as the weather, water conditions, boat performance, and past race statistics. These factors can help determine the most likely winner of the race and inform betting decisions.

3. How do scientists approach solving the boat race betting problem?

Scientists approach solving the boat race betting problem by utilizing mathematical and statistical models to analyze the data and make predictions. They also consider other external factors such as team dynamics, injuries, and past performance to improve the accuracy of their predictions.

4. Is there a guaranteed way to solve the boat race betting problem?

There is no guaranteed way to solve the boat race betting problem as it involves predicting the outcome of a complex and dynamic event. However, using scientific methods and data analysis can improve the chances of making accurate predictions and increasing the chances of winning bets.

5. How can the boat race betting problem be applied in other fields?

The principles and methods used to solve the boat race betting problem can be applied in other fields that involve predicting the outcome of events, such as sports, finance, and politics. These methods can also be applied to decision-making processes in businesses and industries.