Solving Bra-Ket Equations: Hermitian Operators & Real Numbers

In summary: If you have an infinite vector space, then you can't just say that every function has an inverse. This is because the inverse of a function is not just a function that takes the original function and flips it, it's a function that takes the original function and sends it back to the original vector space.
rubertoda
bra - ket??

Hi, maybe a stupid question, but i would like to know if, if We have a real number, but we are i a vector space, and the operator is hermitian, is |a> is equal to < a |*?

i assume this, because if a is the vector (1,0) (spin up), and only real entries.

im trying to make ((Sy|a>) |b>) to ((<a|Sy)|b>) somehow..if both a and b are real..please solve this mess

I am talking about Sx, Sy, Sz is hermitian operators.. and these are operating..
are these 3 hermitian conjugates to each other?
i might add, that Sy can ONLY operate on the 'a' state ( <a| or |a>)

and, finally, how would you write out <a|Sy?, is it a vector?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Can you give a little more information about what you mean when you talk about real numbers? Bras and kets are members of a Hilbert space, so the concept of "real number" doesn't mean anything when talking about them.

Do you mean that,

Sy|a> = a |a> where a is real?

<a| Sy = row vector times matrix = row vector

yes, i mean row vector times matrix, i would like to show that Sy|a> = <a|Sy, if Sy is hermitian..

rubertoda said:
yes, i mean row vector times matrix, i would like to show that Sy|a> = <a|Sy, if Sy is hermitian..
If |a> is a member of a Hilbert space H, then so is Sy|a>. But <a| is a member of the dual space H*, defined as the set of continuous linear functions from H into ℂ. <a|Sy is another member of H*, so it can't be equal to any member of H, like e.g. Sy|a>.

It would however make sense to ask if they have the same components, with respect to some basis {|i>} and its dual basis {<i|} (the latter being defined by <i|j>=δij). The ith component of <a|Sy is by definition <a|Sy|i>. (See this post for more about components of linear maps with respect to a basis). The ith component of Sy|a> is just its projection onto the ith basis vector, <i|Sy|a>.

another way to think of it,

Sy|a> = <a|Sy

Sy|a> = matrix times column vector = column vector

<a|Sy = row vector times matrix = row vector

it is not possible that Sy|a> = <a|Sy

Jesssa said:
Sy|a> = matrix times column vector = column vector

<a|Sy = row vector times matrix = row vector

it is not possible that Sy|a> = <a|Sy
This argument is fine when the vector space is finite.

Related to Solving Bra-Ket Equations: Hermitian Operators & Real Numbers

1. What is the purpose of solving Bra-Ket equations?

The purpose of solving Bra-Ket equations is to understand the behavior and properties of quantum systems. These equations allow us to calculate the probability of a certain outcome when measuring a quantum system, and to predict the evolution of the system over time.

2. What are Hermitian operators in Bra-Ket equations?

Hermitian operators are mathematical operators that represent physical observables in quantum mechanics. They are represented as matrices and have the property that their adjoint is equal to their conjugate transpose. In Bra-Ket notation, Hermitian operators are represented by the Dirac notation ^H, where the ^ symbol denotes the operator.

3. How are real numbers used in Bra-Ket equations?

Real numbers are used in Bra-Ket equations to represent the possible outcomes of measurements on a quantum system. These numbers correspond to the eigenvalues of the Hermitian operators, which represent the physical observables of the system. Real numbers are also used in the calculation of probabilities in quantum mechanics.

4. Can Bra-Ket equations be solved using traditional algebraic methods?

No, Bra-Ket equations cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods. These equations involve complex numbers and require the use of linear algebra and vector spaces. They also require an understanding of quantum mechanics and the principles of superposition and measurement.

5. What is the significance of solving Bra-Ket equations?

Solving Bra-Ket equations is significant because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems. This is important for many applications, including the development of new technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography. It also helps us to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe.