Solving Buckling Load Problem for Masters Degree Mechanical Engineering Project

In summary, a student is designing a rig for a final project in their Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering. They are struggling to determine whether the rig should be made of steel or wood, and are having difficulty calculating the buckling load. The rig is a rectangular section with a triangular web on one side, and the student is considering using composite materials such as wood and steel. However, they are limited to using only wood or steel. It is suggested to use ply wood for the main panel and reinforce the anchor points with sheet steel for the best outcome.
Barn-Unit
Hi, I am currently studying for my Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Strathclyde (Glasgow, Scotland) and as part of my final project I have to design a 'rig' with which to conduct experiments on climbing belays.
The problem I am having is in designing the 'rig'. I need to determine whether it would be better made from Steel or Wood but I cannot determine this without first calculating the buckling load. Here in lies the problem.

This is a quick sketch of the part of the rig I am struggling with:

[PLAIN][URL]http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g480/Barn-Unit/MountProblem.jpg[/PLAIN][/URL]

What I am trying to figure out is whether it would be better to make it thicker but out of wood, or thinner and out of steel. The forces it will be under are not going to be anywhere near the yeild levels of either material.

ALL help appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, not too sure if the picture is loading correctly...

it is basically an upright rectangular section of length around 4 times it's width, standing on it's short side (width) with a triangular 'web' on one side in the opposing direction forming a 90 degree corner. The web is as tall as the rectangular section and as long along the bottom edge (right angle triangle with 2 equal sides). Hope that helps...

You better have another go at the drawing mate.

Why wood or steel, why not a composite?

Difficult to comment further without a proper picture, but might not the fixing characteristics into wood yield false results? The internal response of wood is quite different from rock or steel.

If I read you description correctly the support is four times as tall as it is wide, but no information about depth was given. This is unlikely to have a buckling problem at realistic depths. However it could easily be strengthened with a mid-brace.

Got the picture working, thanks for the comment.

I chose wood (ply wood) or steel because these are the materials that the lab have to hand. the fabrication time would be far too long if i were to ask them to build it out of anything else.

By a composite I meant both wood and steel.

I do not know how many times you will need to change/adjust the belaying points. If this happens a lot, as I suspect, then wood is the easier material. However the anchor points will be 'softer' (=possess resilience) and have a tendency to twist.
I suggest making the main panel of ply, but reinforce the anchor positions with sheet steel (builder's merchant straps) to maintain rigidity. That's the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Related to Solving Buckling Load Problem for Masters Degree Mechanical Engineering Project

1. What is buckling load in mechanical engineering?

Buckling load refers to the maximum load that a structural member can withstand before it buckles or collapses under compressive stress. It is an important concept in mechanical engineering, as it determines the stability and strength of a structure.

2. How do you solve a buckling load problem?

To solve a buckling load problem, you must first determine the critical buckling load using equations or software. Then, you can compare this load to the applied load to determine if buckling will occur. If the applied load is greater than the critical buckling load, measures such as increasing the stiffness or cross-sectional area of the member can be taken to prevent buckling.

3. What factors influence buckling load?

The buckling load of a structure is influenced by factors such as the material properties, geometry, boundary conditions, and type of loading. For example, a shorter and stiffer member will have a higher buckling load compared to a longer and more flexible member.

4. Why is solving buckling load problems important for a Masters Degree Mechanical Engineering project?

Solving buckling load problems is important for a Masters Degree Mechanical Engineering project because it demonstrates the ability to analyze and design stable and efficient structures. It also allows for the application of theoretical knowledge in a practical setting, which is essential for a successful career as a mechanical engineer.

5. Are there any limitations to solving buckling load problems?

Yes, there are limitations to solving buckling load problems. These include assumptions made in the analysis, such as linear elastic behavior and perfect geometries, which may not accurately reflect real-world conditions. Additionally, the software used to solve these problems may have limitations and may require validation with experimental data.

Back