Solving Calc II Integral & Graphing Solid Volume

• Thread starter Spectre32
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person working on an integral and finding the solution to be 11/2. They are now trying to graph the solid represented by the integral and are seeking help. The solution involves evaluating an indefinite integral to get the function, and then considering the limits to sketch the solid on the x/y plane.
Spectre32
Ok I'm working on this Integral: http://home.comcast.net/~bruins83/IMG_1527.jpg

I figured the Integral to be equal to 11/2. Now they want me to graph it, and I'm slidght confused on how to go about this, The direction read, Sketch the solid whose volume is given by (integral) Find the volume.

Any help would be appericated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i can't see what you've posted there properly can you just type it out

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{1}2-x-y~dydx[/tex]

dav2008 said:
[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{1}2-x-y~dydx[/tex]
the solution to that is just one

the new function after evaluating the indefinite integral is [tex]\frac{-1}{2} xy (x+y-4) [/tex]

Yeha I went back over it, and got one, sorry about that. Anyways, I still need help graphing it. Actually what DO i even look at to graph?

Spectre32 said:
Yeha I went back over it, and got one, sorry about that. Anyways, I still need help graphing it. Actually what DO i even look at to graph?

if you want to graph (sketch) it then you have to hold Y constant and look at all the ways x can move around the axes. After that simply enclose the surface

it loos like a gentle slope down a hill and then a little rise on the positive side

Last edited:
What exactly do they want you to graph? Can you quote the book exactly?

If they just want you to draw in the region over which the function is being integrated then you just take the limits and graph them on the x/y plane.

Your limits are y=0, y=1, x=0, x=1 so it would just be a square.

Edit: Never mind, I reread your post and it says to sketch the solid.

FAQ: Solving Calc II Integral & Graphing Solid Volume

1. What is the purpose of solving Calc II integrals and graphing solid volume?

The purpose of solving Calc II integrals and graphing solid volume is to find the exact value of the area under a curve or the volume of a three-dimensional object. It is an important skill in mathematics and is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you solve a Calc II integral?

To solve a Calc II integral, you need to first identify the function and the limits of integration. Then, use the appropriate integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to find the antiderivative of the function. Finally, evaluate the integral by plugging in the limits of integration and simplifying the expression.

3. What are the different methods for graphing solid volume?

The different methods for graphing solid volume include using cross-sectional areas, the disk method, the shell method, and the washer method. Each method is used for different types of objects and involves finding the area of cross-sections or the volume of slices of the object.

4. How do you determine the limits of integration for graphing solid volume?

The limits of integration for graphing solid volume depend on the shape and orientation of the solid. For simple shapes, such as cylinders or spheres, the limits can be determined by the dimensions of the solid. For more complex shapes, it may be necessary to use multiple integrals or to break the solid into smaller sections with different limits of integration.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving Calc II integrals and graphing solid volume?

Solving Calc II integrals and graphing solid volume have many real-life applications, including calculating volumes of containers or tanks, finding the center of mass of an object, and determining the amount of material needed to construct a three-dimensional shape. It is also used in fields such as architecture, fluid mechanics, and computer graphics.