Solving Canonical Question: Find Q, P for A

• Thread starter franky2727
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding r and invertible matrices Q and P, given a set A. The initial approach was to row and column reduce A and use the resulting matrices to create Q and P, which satisfied the equation Q-1AP=I1. The next part of the question requires finding a basis for A and a canonical basis for the matrix, but there is confusion and uncertainty about the correct approach.
franky2727
got stuck on this question but had a pritty good bash at it and might possibly be getting close to the answer

right so the question in full is let A={(1,2,1),(2,4,2),(3,6,3)}

find r and real invertible matrices Q and P such that Q-1AP={(Ir,0)(0,0)
where each zero denotes a matrix of zeros (not nessessarily the same size in each case)

Paying special attension to write down the bases of r3 with respect to which Q-1AP represents the mapping x->Ax

right now I've started off by row and column reducing A to get {(1,0,0)(0,0,0)(0,0,0)}
and then by applying the row and column opperations to the 3x3 and 3x3 respectivly Identity matrices i ended up with Q-1={(1,0,0)(-2,1,0)(-3,0,1)} Q={(1,0,0)(1/2,1,0)(1-3,0,1)} and finaly p={(1,-2,-1)(0,1,0)(0,0,1) which did indeed satisfy the equation Q-1AP=I1

now the next part of the question i didn't/don't really understand "Paying special attension to write down the bases of r3 with respect to which Q-1AP represents the mapping x->Ax"

however i looked at what i believe to be a similar question on my past homework questions (this question is from a previous exam paper so i don't have answers) and came to the conclusion (not sure if this is right or not this is my question to you really) that i was being asked to find a basis for my matrix A and then a basis for my canonical so this would just be {(1,2,1)} and {(1,0,0)} respectivly? I'm pritty sure this is wrong as it just seems too easy althought i believe i am on the right lines, could someone please elaberate on my findings. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
does no one understand this or something?

Related to Solving Canonical Question: Find Q, P for A

1. What is a canonical question?

A canonical question is a standardized question format that is used to represent a specific type of problem or inquiry. It is designed to be easily understood and solved, and typically follows a specific structure to ensure consistency.

2. What does "Find Q, P for A" mean?

"Find Q, P for A" is a common phrase used in mathematics and science to represent solving for an unknown quantity or variable. In this case, Q and P represent the unknown variables, and A represents the given information or known quantities.

3. How do you solve a canonical question?

To solve a canonical question, you should first identify the known and unknown quantities or variables. Then, use relevant equations or principles to manipulate the known information and solve for the unknown variables. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to better understand the problem.

4. What types of problems can be solved using canonical questions?

Canonical questions can be used to solve a wide range of problems in various fields, including mathematics, physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are especially useful for problems involving equations, formulas, and mathematical relationships.

5. Are there any tips for solving canonical questions?

Some tips for solving canonical questions include carefully reading and understanding the question, organizing the given information and unknown variables, using relevant equations or principles, and checking your work for accuracy. It can also be helpful to practice solving similar types of problems to improve your skills and understanding.