Solving Circle Equation with 2 Intersecting Vectors

In summary, the conversation involves a project that deals with 2 intersecting vectors and a circle. The programmer is stuck because he needs a 4th point to complete the circle equation. The equation of the ellipse and the visual example provided are also mentioned. The circle must be in the same relationship to the AB vector and must intersect any point on CB and BD.
pbayer123
Thank you for taking time to read my post, I hope I am putting into the correct area of the physics forum.

I am working with a programmer to complete a project that involves 2 intersecting vectors and a circle. The vector coordinates are known, we are trying to solve the circle equation. I have provided a visual example.

The programmer says the problem is he needs a 4th point in order to program this and is not sure how to do this. He states the following:

The equation of ellipse is:
(X -Xo)^2/A^2 + (Y-Yo)^2/B^2 = 1
where Xo,Yo - coordinates of center, A - major, B - minor semiaxes

http://curezone.com/ig/i.asp?i=69998

Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Image address:
http://curezone.com/ig/i.asp?i=69998

The text is difficult to read on the image so here is what it says:

Blue squares are outputs from an algorithm

The circle can be any size
but must be in the same relationship to the AB vector (ZY = AB)

the Z point on the circle must be place on pt A

The circle must intersect any point on CB and any point on BD

FAQ: Solving Circle Equation with 2 Intersecting Vectors

1. What is the formula for solving a circle equation with 2 intersecting vectors?

The formula for solving a circle equation with 2 intersecting vectors is (x-x1)2 + (y-y1)2 = r2, where (x1, y1) is the center of the circle and r is the radius.

2. How do you find the center of a circle using 2 intersecting vectors?

To find the center of a circle using 2 intersecting vectors, you can set the two equations of the vectors equal to each other and solve for x and y. This will give you the coordinates of the center of the circle.

3. Can you use the Pythagorean theorem to solve a circle equation with 2 intersecting vectors?

Yes, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to solve a circle equation with 2 intersecting vectors. By setting the two vectors equal to each other and squaring both sides, you will get an equation that can be rearranged to fit the Pythagorean theorem formula.

4. How many solutions are there for a circle equation with 2 intersecting vectors?

There can be 0, 1, or 2 solutions for a circle equation with 2 intersecting vectors. If the two vectors are tangent to each other, there will be 1 solution. If they do not intersect or touch, there will be 0 solutions. And if they intersect at two points, there will be 2 solutions.

5. What is the significance of solving a circle equation with 2 intersecting vectors in scientific research?

Solving a circle equation with 2 intersecting vectors can be useful in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to model the movement of objects, predict the paths of particles, and solve complex geometric problems.