Solving Circuit Problem: 3 & 2 Ohms Resistors

• Engineering
  • Thread starter RiceKernel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the circuit can be simplified by rearranging the components so that the 5 and 20 Ohm resistors are connected in series. This can be done by moving terminals a and b to the opposite ends of the circuit.
RiceKernel

Homework Statement

lol.png

Homework Equations

Req =R1 + R2

Req = (R1*R2)/(R1 +R2)

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea how to do that . Was thinking maybe making the 3 and 2 ohms resistors equivalent (assuming parallel). I have no idea what to do with the top wire . How do I simplify this circuit?

Physics news on Phys.org
The 2 and 3 Ohm resistors are not in parallel (their upper ends are not connected).

Hint: Re-draw the circuit with the 5 and 20 Ohm resistors in a vertical position.

RiceKernel said:

Homework Statement

lol.png

Homework Equations

Req =R1 + R2

Req = (R1*R2)/(R1 +R2)

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea how to do that . Was thinking maybe making the 3 and 2 ohms resistors equivalent (assuming parallel). I have no idea what to do with the top wire . How do I simplify this circuit?

You're allowed to re-arrange the components on the page so long as all the connections remain the same. Take a close look at how the 5 and 20 Ohm resistors are connected. Better yet, move terminals a and b to the other end of the circuit. You can do this because a continuous wire path is all the same node, and anything connected to it can be moved to another point on the same conductor.

attachment.php?attachmentid=73120&stc=1&d=1410636187.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 470

Related to Solving Circuit Problem: 3 & 2 Ohms Resistors

1. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit with both 3 and 2 ohms resistors?

To calculate the total resistance in a circuit with both 3 and 2 ohms resistors, you can use the formula Rtotal = R1 + R2, where R1 and R2 are the individual resistances. In this case, the total resistance would be 5 ohms.

2. Can I use Ohm's law to solve circuit problems with 3 and 2 ohms resistors?

Yes, Ohm's law (V=IR) can be used to solve circuit problems with 3 and 2 ohms resistors. You can use this law to calculate the voltage, current, and resistance in the circuit.

3. How do I determine the current flowing through each resistor in a circuit with 3 and 2 ohms resistors?

To determine the current flowing through each resistor in a circuit with 3 and 2 ohms resistors, you can use the formula I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance. You can also use Ohm's law to calculate the current.

4. Is there a difference in the current flowing through a 3 ohms resistor compared to a 2 ohms resistor?

Yes, there is a difference in the current flowing through a 3 ohms resistor compared to a 2 ohms resistor. This is because the resistance of a circuit affects the flow of current. A higher resistance will result in less current flow, and a lower resistance will result in more current flow.

5. How can I determine the power dissipated in a 3 ohms resistor and a 2 ohms resistor?

To determine the power dissipated in a 3 ohms resistor and a 2 ohms resistor, you can use the formula P = VI, where P is the power, V is the voltage, and I is the current. You can also use the formula P = I^2R to calculate the power dissipated in each resistor.