Solving Circuits with James: Finding I, Power, & Phase Angle

In summary, the conversation is about solving a circuit and finding the phasor current, power, reactive power, and apparent power delivered by the source. The first step involves replacing the capacitor with its complex impedance and finding the total impedance in parallel with the resistor. However, the calculated current does not match the given answer. The person is seeking help and the advice given is to consider capacitive reactance as a complex quantity while calculating total impedance.
James889
Hi,

I have the following circuit
[PLAIN]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3024/upgp580.png

And i need to find the phasor current I, the power, reactive power and apparent power delivered by the source and state whether it's lagging or leading. But I am kind of stuck at the first step.

First i replace the capacitor with it's complex impedance
[tex]-j\frac{1}{333\cdot10\cdot10^{-6}} = -J300.3[/tex]

And that is parallel with the 115ohm resistor, yielding:

[tex]\frac{1}{(1/115)+(1/-300)} = 186.48\ohm[/tex]

And the phase angle

[tex]arctan\bigg(\frac{1/-300}{1/115}\bigg)= -20.93 [/tex]

So the current I is given by
[tex]\frac{1585\sqrt{2}}{186.48} \cdot cos(12-(-21)) = 10.08[/tex]

Which is as usual incorrect.
According to the key the current I is [tex]15.11 \angle 20.66[/tex]

Please help
James

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should consider capacitive reactance as a complex quantity while calculating total impedance.

Related to Solving Circuits with James: Finding I, Power, & Phase Angle

1. How do I determine the current (I) in a circuit using James' method?

To find the current in a circuit using James' method, you will need to use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) and Kirchhoff's Current Law. First, assign all the components in the circuit a direction of current flow. Then, apply Kirchhoff's Current Law at each node in the circuit to determine the current flowing through each component. Finally, use Ohm's Law to find the total current in the circuit.

2. What is power and how is it related to voltage and current?

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. In electrical circuits, power is equal to the product of voltage and current (P = VI). This means that the higher the voltage and current, the greater the power in the circuit.

3. Can I use James' method to solve circuits with alternating current (AC)?

Yes, James' method can be used to solve circuits with both direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). However, you will need to use complex numbers to represent the AC voltage and current values in the equations.

4. How do I find the phase angle in a circuit using James' method?

The phase angle is the difference in phase between the voltage and current in an AC circuit. To find the phase angle using James' method, you will need to use the impedance triangle and the Pythagorean theorem. The phase angle can be calculated using the inverse tangent function (tan^-1) of the reactance divided by the resistance.

5. Can I use James' method to solve circuits with multiple resistors and capacitors?

Yes, James' method can be used to solve circuits with multiple resistors and capacitors. You will need to use the equivalent resistance and capacitance formulas to simplify the circuit before applying James' method. Additionally, you will need to use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to determine the voltage drops across each component in the circuit.