Solving Combination Lock with 2nd and 3rd Numbers Differing by at Least 3

In summary, If the first number in the combination is 1 or 60, the number at the third lock is 56. If the first number in the combination is 2 or 59, the number at the third lock is 55. If the first number in the combination is 3 or 58, the number at the third lock is 54.
fomenkoa
Hey everyone

I have this for Discrete homework:
A lock has the numbers from 0 to 59 ...A combo is made up of 3 numbers...How many combos are possible if the 2nd and 3rd numbers have to differ by at least 3

The answer is whatever 60 times 58 times 57 is

I know why the 60 is there..because the 1st number can be any of the 60. How they got 58 times 57 I'm not exactly sure...

Can anyone help?
Anton

Physics news on Phys.org
the first number can be anythng. for each first number there are 60 possiblities of second number. I think you understood this. For numbers 1 and 2 in the second lock, it is a must that 2 and 3, then 1, 3 and 4 should not be he number at third lock. similar is the case of numbers 60 and 59 appearing. for each other 56 cases of the second lock, there are 51 cases of third lock. Add the three different equation and then use algebra.

vaishakh said:
the first number can be anythng. for each first number there are 60 possiblities of second number. I think you understood this. For numbers 1 and 2 in the second lock, it is a must that 2 and 3, then 1, 3 and 4 should not be he number at third lock. similar is the case of numbers 60 and 59 appearing. for each other 56 cases of the second lock, there are 51 cases of third lock. Add the three different equation and then use algebra.

I'm sorry...I don't quite understand this phrasing...could you repeat it please. Ok I know the first number in the combination can be any of the numbers 0-59. Then the second number in the combination can also be any of the 60 digits. However, the 3rd number needs to differ by at laest 3 from the 2nd number. How to get that in the form of the answer in the book, I don't know

The answer says to multiply 60 x 58 x 57 and taht gives u the amount of combinations. I am not sure why.

vaishakh said:

for the first number has no restriction on the second number. so for each number appearing on second lock there can be 60 cases of fist lock number.
but there are some complexity. if the number in the second lock is 1, or 60, then third lock should not feature 2 and 3, or 58 and 59 so that the difference is greater than 3. so for these two possibilities of second lock there can be 57 possibilties of third lock. (60*2*57) when the numbers are 2 or 59, the possibilities at third lock becomes 56. then for all other 56 numbers ecluding 1,2,59 and 60, the possibilities of third lock is 55(sorry, i wrote 51).
make three equations as the one i have given above.

FAQ: Solving Combination Lock with 2nd and 3rd Numbers Differing by at Least 3

1. How do I solve a combination lock with the 2nd and 3rd numbers differing by at least 3?

To solve a combination lock with the 2nd and 3rd numbers differing by at least 3, you will need to follow these steps:

• Start by turning the dial to the right until you reach the first number in the combination.
  • Next, turn the dial to the left, skipping over the second number, until you reach the third number in the combination.
  • Continue turning the dial to the left, stopping at each number that is at least 3 digits away from the third number in the combination.
  • Once you reach the third number in the combination, turn the dial to the right and the lock should open.

2. Why is it important for the 2nd and 3rd numbers to differ by at least 3 in a combination lock?

The reason for this requirement is to make the lock more secure. If the 2nd and 3rd numbers were too close together, it would be easier for someone to guess the combination by trying numbers that are close to each other. By requiring a difference of at least 3, it makes it more difficult for someone to guess the combination.

3. Can I use this method to open any combination lock?

This method can be used to open most combination locks that have the 2nd and 3rd numbers differing by at least 3. However, some locks may have different requirements or may be more complex to open. It is always best to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for the specific lock you are trying to open.

4. Is there a specific direction I need to turn the dial when using this method?

In most cases, you will need to turn the dial to the right to start and then to the left for the remaining steps. However, it is always important to follow the specific instructions for the lock you are trying to open as some may require a different direction or sequence to open.

5. What should I do if the lock does not open using this method?

If the lock does not open using this method, it is possible that you have entered the numbers incorrectly or that the lock has a different combination. It is also possible that the lock may be malfunctioning or damaged. If you are unable to open the lock, it is best to contact the manufacturer for assistance or to seek help from a professional locksmith.