Solving Complex Integral: Evaluating \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(x^a-1)}{x^3-1}\,dx

In summary, the conversation discusses a complex integral and offers guidance for solving it using the indent contour method. It also mentions using identities and the residue theorem to simplify the integral and arrive at a solution.
Belgium 12
Hi,

problrm with complex integral.Consider the integral

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(x^a-1)}{x^3-1}\,dx
[/tex]

use the branch 0<phi<3pi/2 and an idented contour at z=0 and z=1.(circular contour in the

upper half plane)

a)show that the integral can be written in terms of the integral:

[tex]
\pi\frac{(e^{2ia\pi/3}-1)}{(e^{2i\pi/3}-1)sin(2\pi/3)}+\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(x^ae^{ia\pi}-1)}{x^3+1}
[/tex]

b)evaluate the second integral in part a)and find the value of the orginal integral

[tex]
\frac{pi.sin(a\pi/3)}{3.sin(\pi/3)sin[\pi/3(a+1)]}
[/tex]

For the last integral I used a contour z=x(0<x<R)the sector circle in the upper half plane

0<phi<2pi/3)and the line z=xe^2pi/3(0<x<R)

but I can't find the integral question b)

Can somebody give me a help.Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. I can see that you have already made some progress in solving this complex integral by using the indent contour method. However, it seems like you are having trouble evaluating the second integral in part a) and finding the value of the original integral in question b). Let me offer some guidance to help you move forward.

Firstly, it is important to note that the integral in question b) can be simplified by using the identities sin(2\pi/3) = sin(\pi/3) = \sqrt{3}/2. This will help you to simplify the expression and make it easier to evaluate.

Next, for the second integral in part a), you can use the substitution x = e^{i\pi/3}t to transform the integral into a form that can be evaluated using the residue theorem. This will involve finding the poles of the integrand and calculating the residues at those poles.

Once you have evaluated the second integral, you can substitute the result into the expression in question b) and use the identities mentioned earlier to simplify it further.

I hope this helps you to make progress in solving your problem. If you encounter any further difficulties, don't hesitate to reach out for more assistance. Good luck!

FAQ: Solving Complex Integral: Evaluating \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{(x^a-1)}{x^3-1}\,dx

1. What is the method for evaluating this complex integral?

The method for evaluating this complex integral is to use the Residue Theorem, which states that the integral of a function around a closed contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its singularities inside the contour.

2. How do I find the singularities for this integral?

To find the singularities, we need to solve the equation x^3-1=0, which gives us the three roots x=1, x=e^(2πi/3), and x=e^(4πi/3).

3. Can this integral be evaluated using standard integration techniques?

No, this integral cannot be evaluated using standard integration techniques because it is a complex integral with multiple singularities.

4. What is the range of values for the exponent a in this integral?

The range of values for the exponent a is any real number except for a=1 and a=2, as these values would make the integrand undefined at the singularities.

5. Is there a shortcut method for evaluating this integral?

Yes, there is a shortcut method called the Residue Theorem, which allows us to evaluate the integral by finding the residues at the singularities and summing them together. This method is often faster and more efficient than using standard integration techniques.

Back