Solving Concave Functions: Intervals & Inflection Points

In summary, the first derivative of f(x)=x^6ln(x) is 6x^5*ln(x) + x^6*(1/x) and the second derivative is 30x^4*ln(x) + x^6*(-1/x^2). The intervals on which f is increasing are (0, infinity), the intervals on which f is decreasing are (0, infinity), the open intervals on which f is concave up are (0, infinity), the open intervals on which f is concave down are (0, infinity), and the x coordinates of all inflection points are none.
JackieAnne
Let f(x)=x^6ln(x) . Find (a) the intervals on which f is increasing, (b) the intervals on which f is decreasing, (c) the open intervals on which f is concave up, (d) the open intervals on which f is concave down, and (e) the x-coordinates of all inflection points.

(a) f is increasing on the interval(s)
(b) f is decreasing on the interval(s)
(c) f is concave up on the open interval(s)
(d) f is concave down on the open interval(s)
(e) the x coordinate(s) of the points of inflection are

Notes: In the first four boxes, your answer should either be a single interval, such as [0,1), a comma separated list of intervals, such as (-inf, 2), (3,4], or the word "none".

In the last box, your answer should be a comma separated list of x values or the word "none".

So, I am pretty sure for concave functions we are supposed to find the first and second derivatives.
I am unsure about the first derivative but I got:
(1/7)x(-1/7)*(1/x)
I am unsure on how to get the second derivative from this. Then unsure how to solve the rest of this problem. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
JackieAnne said:
Let f(x)=x^6ln(x) . Find (a) the intervals on which f is increasing, (b) the intervals on which f is decreasing, (c) the open intervals on which f is concave up, (d) the open intervals on which f is concave down, and (e) the x-coordinates of all inflection points.

(a) f is increasing on the interval(s)
(b) f is decreasing on the interval(s)
(c) f is concave up on the open interval(s)
(d) f is concave down on the open interval(s)
(e) the x coordinate(s) of the points of inflection are

Notes: In the first four boxes, your answer should either be a single interval, such as [0,1), a comma separated list of intervals, such as (-inf, 2), (3,4], or the word "none".

In the last box, your answer should be a comma separated list of x values or the word "none".So, I am pretty sure for concave functions we are supposed to find the first and second derivatives.
I am unsure about the first derivative but I got:
(1/7)x(-1/7)*(1/x)
I am unsure on how to get the second derivative from this. Then unsure how to solve the rest of this problem. Thanks!

I'm assuming you mean f(x)=(x^6)*ln(x). Work on your derivative first. It's way wrong. Do you know how to differentiate x^6? Have you heard of the product rule?

okay, so I think I got the first derivative:
6x^5*ln(x) + x^6*(1/x)

so then would the second derivative be:

30x^4*ln(x) + x^6*(-1/x^2)

JackieAnne said:
okay, so I think I got the first derivative:
6x^5*ln(x) + x^6*(1/x)

so then would the second derivative be:

30x^4*ln(x) + x^6*(-1/x^2)

Ok, you've got the first derivative right, 6*x^5*ln(x)+x^5 if you simplify the second term. Now you are making the same mistake on the second derivative you made on the first. I'll ask you again, have you heard of the product rule? And I'll request that you stop forgetting about it, ok?

Related to Solving Concave Functions: Intervals & Inflection Points

What is a concave function?

A concave function is a type of function in mathematics where the curve of the function lies below the tangent line at every point. This means that the function is sloping downwards and has a "cup-like" shape.

How do you identify concavity?

To identify concavity, you can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative of a function is negative, then the function is concave. Additionally, you can also graph the function and visually determine the shape of the curve.

What are inflection points?

Inflection points are points on a graph where the concavity changes. This means that the function changes from being concave upwards to concave downwards, or vice versa. These points can be identified by finding where the second derivative of the function equals zero.

How do you find intervals of concavity?

To find intervals of concavity, you need to determine where the second derivative of the function is positive and negative. If the second derivative is positive, the function is concave upwards, and if it is negative, the function is concave downwards. The intervals where the second derivative changes from positive to negative or vice versa are the intervals of concavity.

Why is solving concave functions important?

Solving concave functions is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as economics, physics, and biology. It allows us to model and analyze real-world phenomena and make predictions based on the behavior of the function. Understanding concave functions also helps in optimization problems, where we need to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.