Solving Coordinate Homework: lxl + lyl = 1

• Thread starter lovemake1
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to find the set of all points (x,y) that satisfy |x| + |y| = 1. This can be solved by considering four cases depending on the signs of x and y. Graphing this equation is also a reasonable approach.
lovemake1

Homework Statement

find the set of all points (x,y) which satisfy lxl + lyl = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first i decided to make lxl and lyl into inequality.

-1 < x < 1
-1 < y < 1

lxl = lyl - 1

so from any value of y between (-1,1) would work ? will this give lxl the correct result?
will they both equal to 1 ?
please help I am confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 4 cases to consider:

x,y>0
x>0, y<0
x<0, y>0
x,y<0

For the first, obviously you have the line y=1-x. And yes you place the restrictions that [itex]0\leq x\leq 1[/itex]. Can you finish the rest?

hm... logically wouldn't y = 1 - x be the only solution ? since we are not dealing with absolute values anymore.

or should i keep absolute values in the calculations?

lyl = 1 - lxl

-1 < x < 0

Well that's like saying logically shouldn't x=1 be the only solution to |x|=1.

The point (-1/2, 1/2) satisfies the equation, but this point doesn't lie on the line y=1-x. Try do what I suggested in my previous post.

lovemake1 said:
find the set of all points (x,y) which satisfy lxl + lyl = 1
Is this exactly how the problem is stated?

A reasonable, but not very helpful, answer is {(x, y) | |x| + |y| = 1}. Another reasonable answer is a graph of this equation.

Mark44 said:
Is this exactly how the problem is stated?

A reasonable, but not very helpful, answer is {(x, y) | |x| + |y| = 1}. Another reasonable answer is a graph of this equation.

The question asks to graph for all coordinates (x,y) which satisfy l x l + l y l = 1

OK, that makes more sense. Follow Mentallic's advice in post #2.

FAQ: Solving Coordinate Homework: lxl + lyl = 1

1. What is the meaning of lxl and lyl in the equation?

The symbols lxl and lyl represent the absolute value of the x and y-coordinates, respectively. In other words, they indicate the distance of the point from the origin on the x and y axes.

2. How do I solve for a coordinate in this equation?

To solve for a coordinate, you must first substitute the given value for the other coordinate into the equation. Then, you can use algebraic methods to isolate the variable and solve for its value.

3. Can this equation be solved graphically?

Yes, this equation can be solved graphically by graphing the equation and finding the point(s) where the graph intersects the line lxl + lyl = 1. These points will be the coordinates that satisfy the equation.

4. Is there a specific method or formula for solving this type of equation?

Yes, there are a few methods that can be used to solve this type of equation, such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. It is important to choose a method that is most suitable for the given problem.

5. What are the possible solutions for this equation?

The possible solutions for this equation are the coordinates of the points that lie on the line lxl + lyl = 1. This can be a single point, multiple points, or no points depending on the values of the coordinates and the equation.