Solving Decoupled System of ODEs with Matrix b

In summary, the given matrix b=\begin{pmatrix}-1&0&-1\\-4&3&-1\\0&0&-2\end{pmatrix} is decoupled, as the system of ODEs \frac{dx}{dt}=Bx can be solved without the other equations. The general solution is x=xh(t). However, it is unclear where to go from here in terms of finding xh(t).
jimmycricket

Homework Statement

Given the matrix [itex]b=\begin{pmatrix}-1&0&-1\\-4&3&-1\\0&0&-2\end{pmatrix}[/itex] decide if the system of ODEs, [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}=Bx[/itex] is decoupled. If yes find the general solution x=xh(t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would say the matrix is decoupled since the second equation involving [itex]2x[/itex]2(t) can be solved without the other two equations. Then the third equation can be solved without knowing [itex]x[/itex]1(t). We have:

x1(t)-x2(t)-3x3(t)=x'1
2x2(t)=x'2
x2(t)+4x3(t)=x'3

Im not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmycricket said:

Homework Statement

Given the matrix [itex]b=\begin{pmatrix}-1&0&-1\\-4&3&-1\\0&0&-2\end{pmatrix}[/itex] decide if the system of ODEs, [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}=Bx[/itex] is decoupled. If yes find the general solution x=xh(t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would say the matrix is decoupled since the second equation involving [itex]2x[/itex]2(t) can be solved without the other two equations. Then the third equation can be solved without knowing [itex]x[/itex]1(t). We have:

x1(t)-x2(t)-3x3(t)=x'1
2x2(t)=x'2
x2(t)+4x3(t)=x'3

Im not sure where to go from here.

How did you get that? You have
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix} \dot x_1 \\ \dot x_2 \\ \dot x_3 \end{pmatrix}
= \begin{pmatrix}-1&0&-1\\-4&3&-1\\0&0&-2\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
Hence
[tex]
\dot x_1 = -x_1 - x_3 \\
\dot x_2 = -4x_1 + 3x_2 - x_3 \\
\dot x_3 = -2x_3
[/tex]

yes that's what I wrote down on paper. There was a bit of a mistranslation when trying to write it in latex.

Related to Solving Decoupled System of ODEs with Matrix b

1. How do I know if a system of ODEs is decoupled?

A system of ODEs is considered decoupled if the equations can be separated into individual equations that do not depend on each other. This means that the coefficients and variables in each equation are independent of the other equations in the system.

2. Can I solve a decoupled system of ODEs without using matrices?

Yes, it is possible to solve a decoupled system of ODEs without using matrices. This can be done by using the method of substitution, where each equation is solved individually and the solutions are substituted into the other equations.

3. What is the advantage of using matrices to solve a decoupled system of ODEs?

Using matrices allows for a more efficient and organized method of solving a decoupled system of ODEs. It also allows for the use of matrix operations, such as matrix multiplication and inverse, which can simplify the solving process.

4. How do I construct a matrix b for a decoupled system of ODEs?

To construct a matrix b for a decoupled system of ODEs, you will need to gather all the constants and coefficients from each equation and arrange them into a matrix. The matrix b should have the same number of rows and columns as the number of equations in the system.

5. Are there any limitations to using matrices to solve a decoupled system of ODEs?

One limitation of using matrices to solve a decoupled system of ODEs is that it can only be used for linear systems. Nonlinear systems may require different methods of solution. Additionally, if the matrix b is not invertible, then the system may not have a unique solution.