Solving Delta Ray Problem - N=epsilon(1/E1 - 1/Emax)

In summary, the number of delta rays through a material can be calculated using the equation N=epsilon(1/E1 - 1/Emax), where epsilon is in MeV and the denominator is in MeV. The factor of e needs to be in cm*MeV for the equation to work, and it can be converted using Coulombs/(4*Pi*epsilon not) as Joules*Meters. The Bethe Bloch energy loss equation and the ionization constant I can also be used to find the number of delta rays, with N representing atoms per cm3.
jbb88
Im trying to find the number of delta rays though a material and am having some trouble with the units, can anyone help?

The number of delta rays through a material is given by N=epsilon(1/E1 - 1/Emax), where epsilon=[2*Pi*A^2*e^4*ne*x]/[m*c^2], where A is unitless, [ne]=cm^-3, and the denominator is in MeV's. I think I want epsilon in MeV's because N should be unitless, so it would cancel out the MeV from the rest of the equation.

My problem is the factor of e. I know it can't be in coulombs, so I need to somehow convert it to the right units. From what I am seeing it needs to be in cm*MeV to have epsilon end up in MeV's.

I know Coulombs/(4*Pi*epsilon not) is Joules*Meters, but I am not sure how to use that correctly without introducing a factor of (4*Pi*epsilon not) that isn't part of the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't recognize what you are talking about. Are you talking about the Bethe Bloch energy loss equation dE/dx for charged particles in matter, and the ionization constant I ? I think that if you have dE/dx for a thickness dx, and the average energy loss per delta ray, the ratio would give the number of delta rays. There is an N that appears in dE/dx, which is atoms per cm3.

It sounds like you are on the right track. The factor of e in the equation represents the elementary charge, which has units of coulombs. In order for the units to work out, you will need to convert the elementary charge to the appropriate units of Joules*Meters, which can be done by using the value of Coulombs/(4*Pi*epsilon not) as you mentioned. However, in order to avoid introducing an extra factor, you can use the value of epsilon not in terms of MeV, which is 8.85*10^-14 MeV^-1 cm^-1. This way, when you multiply the elementary charge by (4*Pi*epsilon not), the units will cancel out and you will be left with cm*MeV as desired for epsilon. I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

Related to Solving Delta Ray Problem - N=epsilon(1/E1 - 1/Emax)

1. What is the Delta Ray Problem?

The Delta Ray Problem is a phenomenon in physics where a high-energy particle, such as an electron, interacts with matter and produces secondary particles known as delta rays. These delta rays can cause issues in particle detection and measurements.

2. How is the Delta Ray Problem solved?

The Delta Ray Problem can be solved by using the equation N=epsilon(1/E1 - 1/Emax), where N is the number of detected particles, epsilon is the detection efficiency, E1 is the energy threshold for detection, and Emax is the maximum energy of the particles. This equation takes into account the probability of detecting delta rays and allows for accurate measurements.

3. What is the significance of N=epsilon(1/E1 - 1/Emax) in solving the Delta Ray Problem?

N=epsilon(1/E1 - 1/Emax) is a mathematical formula that takes into account the detection efficiency and energy thresholds to accurately measure the number of particles produced by the Delta Ray Problem. This equation is crucial in understanding and solving the Delta Ray Problem in experimental physics.

4. Are there any limitations to using N=epsilon(1/E1 - 1/Emax) to solve the Delta Ray Problem?

While N=epsilon(1/E1 - 1/Emax) is a commonly used equation to solve the Delta Ray Problem, it does have some limitations. It assumes that all delta rays are produced with the same energy, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors that may affect particle detection, such as scattering or energy loss.

5. How is the Delta Ray Problem relevant in scientific research?

The Delta Ray Problem is relevant in scientific research as it can affect the accuracy of particle detection and measurements. In fields such as particle physics and nuclear medicine, precise measurements are crucial, and the Delta Ray Problem must be taken into consideration to ensure accurate results. By understanding and solving this problem, scientists can improve their experimental techniques and make more accurate observations and predictions.