Solving Diff. Eqns with Constants: a & b

• Thread starter KrayzBlu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary: Thanks.In summary, differentiating the first equation with respect to x and y and eliminating the partial derivatives with respect to x and y gives \frac{\partial^4 f}{\partial x^2 \,\partial y^2} = ab f. Setting f(x,y) = X(x)Y(y) then gives X'' Y'' = ab XY and so h(x,y) can be guessed as \int{\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x \partial y}\frac{1}{X''\left(x\right)Y''\left(y\right)}}
KrayzBlu
Hello,

I've been looking for the form of the solution(s) to following differential equations:

[itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x \partial y}f(x,y) = a \cdot g(x,y) [/itex]
[itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x \partial y}g(x,y) = b \cdot f(x,y) [/itex]

Where a and b are unrelated constants, and f,g are of the same general form. I've tried exponentials and different categories of Bessel functions, with no luck. Does anyone recognize what form the solution(s) might take? Or have an idea of how I could proceed to solve this?

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your boundary conditions?

If you have a rectangular domain take [itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x \partial y}[/itex] of your first equation and then use [itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x \partial y}g =b f[/itex] to get a single forth order equation [itex]\frac{\partial^4}{\partial x^2 \partial y^2}f =ab f[/itex].

You can use separation of variables and let [itex]f\left(x,y\right) =X\left(x\right) Y\left(y\right) [/itex].

This will give you two second order equations, one for [itex]X\left(x\right) [/itex] and one for [itex] Y\left(y\right) [/itex]. Both of which are solvable.

KrayzBlu said:
Hello,

I've been looking for the form of the solution(s) to following differential equations:

[itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x \partial y}f(x,y) = a \cdot g(x,y) [/itex]
[itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x \partial y}g(x,y) = b \cdot f(x,y) [/itex]

Where a and b are unrelated constants, and f,g are of the same general form. I've tried exponentials and different categories of Bessel functions, with no luck. Does anyone recognize what form the solution(s) might take? Or have an idea of how I could proceed to solve this?

Thanks in advance :)

Differentiating the first with respect to x and y and eliminating [itex]\frac{\partial^2 g}{\partial x\,\partial y}[/itex] using the second gives
[tex]\frac{\partial^4 f}{\partial x^2 \,\partial y^2} = ab f
[/tex]

Setting [itex]f(x,y) = X(x)Y(y)[/itex] then gives
[tex]
X'' Y'' = ab XY
[/tex]
so that
[tex]
\frac{X''}{X} \frac{Y''}{Y} = ab
[/tex]
Thus if [itex]X'' = CX[/itex] then [itex]Y'' = (ab/C)Y[/itex]. The corresponding eigenfunction for [itex]g[/itex] is then obtained from the first equation as
[tex]
\frac1a \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x\,\partial y} = \frac 1a X'(x)Y'(y)
[/tex]

Thanks for your replies.

the_wolfman, thanks for your suggestion, I wish I had some specific boundary conditions - I'll think about that and let you know, but I would be happy with anyone of the equation form(s) that would solve this.

pasmith, thank you as well. I'm not sure how in your final equation, the left hand side is any different from the right hand side, and how that solution helps.

Unfortunately, I'm still at a loss as to what functions would satisfy these equations, since exponentials or their relatives don't seem to work.

Some progress

My engineering brain wasn't used to this sort of math, so I may have been to quick to say that exponentials don't work - my apologies

I suppose that if [itex]f(x,y) = e^{h(x,y)}[/itex], and [itex]g(x,y) = e^{i(x,y)}[/itex], then we can say that [itex]h(x,y) = a\int{\frac{g(x,y)}{f(x,y)}} [/itex] and [itex]i(x,y) = b\int{\frac{f(x,y)}{g(x,y)}} [/itex]. From this, we can infer that [itex]g(x,y) = e^{ab\int{\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x \partial y}\frac{1}{h(x,y)}}}[/itex], such that all we need is a form for h(x,y).

Is it impossible to guess at the form of h(x,y) without any boundary conditions?

FAQ: Solving Diff. Eqns with Constants: a & b

1. What are differential equations with constants a and b?

Differential equations with constants a and b are equations that involve a function and its derivatives, where a and b are fixed values. These constants are typically used to represent initial conditions or parameters in the equation.

2. How do I solve a differential equation with constants a and b?

To solve a differential equation with constants a and b, you will need to use various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, integration, and substitution. It is also important to identify the type of differential equation and choose the appropriate method for solving it.

3. What are some practical applications of solving differential equations with constants a and b?

Differential equations with constants a and b have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits.

4. Can I use software to solve differential equations with constants a and b?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can solve differential equations with constants a and b. Some popular examples include MATLAB, Wolfram Mathematica, and Maple. These programs use numerical and symbolic methods to find solutions to differential equations.

5. Are there any tips for solving differential equations with constants a and b?

When solving differential equations with constants a and b, it is important to carefully analyze the equation and identify any patterns or relationships. It can also be helpful to start by solving simpler equations and gradually work towards more complex ones. Practice and familiarity with different techniques will also improve your ability to solve these types of equations.