Solving differential equations (circular motion)

In summary, this equation can be solved by using an integrating factor and then solving for ##Z## in terms of ##\theta##.
Gatsby88

Homework Statement

I have a differential equation of the form

[itex]\frac{dZ}{d\theta} + cZ = a cos \theta + b sin \theta [/itex]

Where [itex]Z = \frac{1}{2}\dot{\theta}^{2}[/itex]

I need to find the general solution of this equation. a, b and c are all constants.

Homework Equations

The questions suggests using this to help:

[itex]\int e^{\lambda x} (a cos x + bsin x ) = \frac{1}{1+\lambda^2}e^{\lambda x}(\lambda (a cos x + b sin x) a sin x - b cos x) + C[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know how that integral is supposed to help me solve the equation. How does e become relevant to this function?

Im also a bit unsure about this.. If I integrate

[itex]\frac{1}{2}C \dot{\theta}^2[/itex]

with respect to θ, do I get

[itex]\frac{1}{2}C \theta ^2[/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gatsby88 said:

Homework Statement

I have a differential equation of the form

[itex]\frac{dZ}{d\theta} + cZ = a cos \theta + b sin \theta [/itex]

Where [itex]Z = \frac{1}{2}\dot{\theta}^{2}[/itex]

I need to find the general solution of this equation. a, b and c are all constants.

Homework Equations

The questions suggests using this to help:

[itex]\int e^{\lambda x} (a cos x + bsin x ) = \frac{1}{1+\lambda^2}e^{\lambda x}(\lambda (a cos x + b sin x) a sin x - b cos x) + C[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know how that integral is supposed to help me solve the equation. How does e become relevant to this function?

The first step involves solving for ##Z## in terms of ##\theta##. Are you familiar with the technique of using an integrating factor? You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrating_factor

Multiply by the appropriate integrating factor, and the reason for the hint should become very clear.

Im also a bit unsure about this.. If I integrate

[itex]\frac{1}{2}C \dot{\theta}^2[/itex]

with respect to θ, do I get

[itex]\frac{1}{2}C \theta ^2[/itex] ?

No. Remember that ##\dot \theta## signifies a derivative wrt time. There's no (simple) relationship between the two expressions.

Thank you.

Ah. Yes, we've done integrating factors earlier in the course.

The integrating factor will be

[itex]e^{\int {c}} = e^{c\theta}[/itex]

multiplying by this gives

[itex]e^{c\theta} \frac{dZ}{d\theta} + C e^{c\theta} Z = e^{c\theta}(a cos \theta + b sin \theta)[/itex]

And then

[itex]\frac{d}{d\theta}(e^{c\theta}Z) = e^{c\theta}(a cos \theta + b sin \theta)[/itex]

And then I can integrate both sides and use the integral given as well as substituting back in for Z at the end and everything is finished.

However, I largely just followed a 'process solution' for this from my textbook. I am unsure how the LHS goes from

[itex]e^{c\theta} \frac{dZ}{d\theta} + C e^{c\theta} Z[/itex]

to

[itex]\frac{d}{d\theta}(e^{c\theta}Z)[/itex]

Can someone explain that to me please?

Related to Solving differential equations (circular motion)

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves finding the function that satisfies the equation and allows us to model and understand various phenomena in science and engineering.

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves along a circular path. It occurs when an object travels at a constant speed around a central point, with the direction of motion changing continuously.

How is circular motion related to differential equations?

Circular motion can be described using differential equations, specifically through the use of the second law of motion and the concept of centripetal acceleration. The equation for circular motion is a differential equation that involves the object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time.

What are the steps for solving a differential equation for circular motion?

The steps for solving a differential equation for circular motion involve identifying the independent and dependent variables, setting up the equation using the second law of motion, solving for the function, and applying initial conditions to determine the specific solution for the given situation.

What are some applications of solving differential equations for circular motion?

Solving differential equations for circular motion has many real-world applications, such as predicting the motion of planets and satellites, analyzing the behavior of pendulums, and designing roller coasters and other circular rides. It is also used in fields like engineering, physics, and astronomy to model and understand various systems and phenomena.