Solving Differential Equations

In summary, the psychology class found that after 10 minutes the average student could remember 25 objects.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

A psychology class is studying memory. Several objects are uncovered to view for a given amount of minutes and then covered again. At most 150 objects can be viewed and remembered. The class found that after 10 minutes the average student could remember 25 objects. The differential equation that models this study is given by

dN/dt = k(L-N)

Solve this differential equation to find an equation that will give the number of objects remembered at any time t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little unsure of what I'm doing, so some feedback would be great.

dN/dt = k(L-N)

dN = (kL - kN)dt

So, I think I need to move the N on the right hand side to the left, but I'm not sure how to do this, as every action I take keeps other prevents me from isolating N and dN on the left hand side.

Can I leave the N on the right hand side and integrate the left with respect to dN and the right with respect to dt?

Physics news on Phys.org
Northbysouth said:

Homework Statement

A psychology class is studying memory. Several objects are uncovered to view for a given amount of minutes and then covered again. At most 150 objects can be viewed and remembered. The class found that after 10 minutes the average student could remember 25 objects. The differential equation that models this study is given by

dN/dt = k(L-N)

Solve this differential equation to find an equation that will give the number of objects remembered at any time t.

Homework Equations

dN/dt = k(L-N)

dN = (kL - kN)dt

So, I think I need to move the N on the right hand side to the left, but I'm not sure how to do this, as every action I take keeps other prevents me from isolating N and dN on the left hand side.

Can I leave the N on the right hand side and integrate the left with respect to dN and the right with respect to dt?

Move all of the N's to one side. dN/(k*(L-N))=dt. Now integrate both sides.

Assuming K and L are constants.

How about dividing by (L-N) on both sides from dN/dt = k(L-N) instead of distributing the K? This equation is separable.

I hadn't considered moving t to one side by itself. Thanks.

So, I should end up with:

t = 1/k*ln(L-N)

Northbysouth said:
I hadn't considered moving t to one side by itself. Thanks.

So, I should end up with:

t = 1/k*ln(L-N)

Almost. I'd write that (1/k)*ln(L-N). But I think you missed a '-' sign and you should put a +C someplace.

Northbysouth said:

Homework Statement

dN/dt = k(L-N)

Homework Equations

dN/dt = k(L-N)

dN = (kL - kN)dt

Even easier: notice that since L is a constant we have dL/dt = 0, so dN/dt = d(N-L)/dt. Therefore, if x = N-L you have dx/dt = -kx.

When I spoke with my professor she informed me that I needed to use a u-substitution in order to integrate.

∫dN/(L-N) = ∫k dt

u = L-N

du = -dN
dN = -du

∫-du/u = ∫k dt

-ln(u) = kt + C

-ln(L-N) = ekt + C

N = ekt + C+ L

Then using the information given, I think that at t=0 N=150

150 = eC + L

So I have L = 150 - eC

I also know that at t=10 that N=25

25 = e10k +C + L

I have three unknowns but only two equations. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think it's possible for me to solve for L, C and k.

All suggestions are appreciated.

I think the sign in front of k got messed up. When you've got -ln(L-N)=kt+C, it's better to multiply both sides by (-1) first so you've got ln(L-N)=(-kt+C). Now exponentiate. And when you've got something like e^(-kt+C) it's usually easier to write it as e^(-kt)*e^C. And since C is a constant, e^C is just another constant, so write it as just plain C. I.e. Ce^(-kt).

On the initial value you thing, the statement of the question isn't crystal clear, but I think what they mean is at t=0, the student is just starting and hasn't memorized anything yet. So at t=0, N=0. At t=10, N=25. Finally for very large values of t the student should max out at 150 objects, so as t->infinity N->150. You do have three boundary conditions.

FAQ: Solving Differential Equations

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a variable to the value of that variable itself. It is commonly used to model physical systems and their behavior over time.

What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations (ODEs) involve a single independent variable and one or more dependent variables, while partial differential equations (PDEs) involve multiple independent variables and one or more dependent variables. ODEs are typically used to describe one-dimensional systems, while PDEs are used for multi-dimensional systems.

How are differential equations solved?

There is no one universal method for solving differential equations, as it depends on the specific type and complexity of the equation. However, some common techniques include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using series solutions.

What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are widely used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and predict the behavior of systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in fields like biology and epidemiology to study the spread of diseases.

What are the limitations of solving differential equations?

While differential equations are powerful tools for modeling and predicting the behavior of systems, they do have some limitations. These include the difficulty of solving certain types of equations analytically, the need for accurate initial conditions, and the fact that they are only an approximation of the true behavior of a system.

Back