Solving difficult physics problems on exams.

In summary, the best method for approaching problems in exams is to practice, understand the question, assess the given values and assumptions, and rest well before the exam. It is important to develop an intuition for problems and not rely solely on "plug-n-chug" methods. However, in some cases, such as time constraints, it may be necessary to use shortcuts and skip drawing diagrams and writing out equations. It is important to practice and understand the underlying principles in order to be successful in exams.
-Dragoon-
How exactly would be the best method in approaching them? It is not so much solving them that bothers me, but the fact that I am pressed for time. It becomes infeasible to draw diagrams, free-body/motion diagrams, listing knowns and unknowns, and then starting the analysis to solve 1 out of 13 problems with only one hour left. Any advice on this? How do you tackle problems in exams you've never seen before but yet don't have all the time in the world to solve them? Is it better in those cases to just mindlessly "plug-n-chug"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which course are you taking?

jtbell said:
Which course are you taking?

Introductory physics I.

Practice, practice, practice, and more of it. I always begin by drawing a picture. A lot of the time this picture is merely a box, with force vectors acting on it. You'd be surprised how good you can get at drawing boxes.
Moreover, do you understand what is being asked? If you cannot absorb the question instantly, display an array of formulas that pertain to the particular problem, and asses the values that are given in the problem. Are all of these values relevant? What assumptions are being made?
Lastly, rest easy before an examination and eat healthy food. It takes practice to become good at these topics; some more than others, but nonetheless it takes practice.

Retribution said:
Is it better in those cases to just mindlessly "plug-n-chug"?

That depends whether you want to learn some physics, or just scrape through your exams.

But the "mindless" approach may not work anyway if you are being set good exam questions which test if you understood the material, and not just if you can memorize how to do the questions on last year's exam paper.

It could be that Mechanics is the first course you have taken where you need apply a few general principles to a large range of situations. You had better get used to doing that, because that's the way most of your courses will be from now on.

The more problems you practice the more you get a feel for what diagrams you need to draw, what variables you need to solve for, etc. You'll develop an intuition to the problems so that they amount to almost plugging and chugging since you'll know how everything fits together.

Im a bit confused, If you can solve the problem correctly by simply plugging and chugging then what's the problem. Why draw diagrams and list unknowns if you already know how to get to the answer?

sandy.bridge said:
Practice, practice, practice, and more of it. I always begin by drawing a picture. A lot of the time this picture is merely a box, with force vectors acting on it. You'd be surprised how good you can get at drawing boxes.
Moreover, do you understand what is being asked? If you cannot absorb the question instantly, display an array of formulas that pertain to the particular problem, and asses the values that are given in the problem. Are all of these values relevant? What assumptions are being made?
Lastly, rest easy before an examination and eat healthy food. It takes practice to become good at these topics; some more than others, but nonetheless it takes practice.

Again, drawing two diagrams for both objects and then two free-body diagrams can take major time away from the analysis of the question. Usually, these are the types problems that tend to be complex, problems with forces acting on two masses.

Eventually, working through so many dynamics problems, I am seeing a recurring pattern in which you have two equations and two unknowns and are constantly solving for those two unknowns, while some other variables cancel out. Wouldn't it be better to just use these shortcuts on exams rather than starting every question from scratch and writing out Newton's second and third laws for every component of every mass?

AlephZero said:
That depends whether you want to learn some physics, or just scrape through your exams.

But the "mindless" approach may not work anyway if you are being set good exam questions which test if you understood the material, and not just if you can memorize how to do the questions on last year's exam paper.

It could be that Mechanics is the first course you have taken where you need apply a few general principles to a large range of situations. You had better get used to doing that, because that's the way most of your courses will be from now on.

I enjoy working through problems and I have never "plugged-n-chugged" since high school. I'd even prefer exams with 4 very very difficult questions and work through them systematically, but unfortunately my exams are not structured like that. When you have 13 questions to get through, it is not feasible to draw diagrams for all of them and write out Newton's second and third laws and list the knowns and unknowns. That's what happened to me last time and is the main reason why I received such a low mark.

FAQ: Solving difficult physics problems on exams.

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of problems. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps and use visual aids such as diagrams or graphs to help you understand the problem better. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on a difficult physics problem during an exam?

If you get stuck on a difficult physics problem during an exam, take a deep breath and try not to panic. First, read the problem carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked. Then, try to recall any relevant concepts or equations that may help you solve the problem. If you are still struggling, move on to the next problem and come back to it later. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or asking the instructor for clarification.

3. How can I manage my time effectively when solving physics problems on exams?

One way to manage your time effectively when solving physics problems on exams is to read through all the questions first and allocate a specific amount of time for each problem based on its difficulty. This will prevent you from spending too much time on one problem and not having enough time for the rest. It may also help to practice solving problems under timed conditions to improve your speed.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems on exams?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems on exams include not reading the problem carefully, using incorrect formulas or equations, and not showing your work. It is important to double-check your work and make sure your solutions are logical and make sense in the context of the problem. It can also be helpful to check your units and significant figures to ensure accuracy.

5. How can I prepare for solving difficult physics problems on exams?

To prepare for solving difficult physics problems on exams, it is important to review and understand key concepts and equations. Practice solving a variety of problems, including those that involve multiple concepts or require critical thinking. You can also try creating your own practice problems or seeking additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials. Additionally, make sure to get enough rest and eat a healthy breakfast on the day of the exam to help you stay focused and alert.