Solving Diode Circuits: I & V for Ideal & CVD Models

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the current and potential in a simple diode circuit using ideal and CVD diode models. The solution involves substituting a short or open for the diode and solving for the voltages. The voltmeter reads 7V when the diode is open and stays reverse biased when reverse biased. There is no need to check the other case.
Bassalisk

Homework Statement

Find the current I and potential V for a simple diode circuit from the picture using
a) ideal diode model
b) CVD diode model (Vd=0,6 V)
[PLAIN]http://pokit.etf.ba/get/36406f902c2c24bd8a3c4ffa8fe97b78.jpg

Homework Equations

U=RI
I1+I2=I

The Attempt at a Solution

This diode can be on or off right? I do the calculations for the ON method, and i get that I=I1+I2=-0,2 mA, now my mates said that they get that right result is that the diode is OFF. I do not understand this, this isn't a real assignment, more like a theoretical question.

Can you help me?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bassalisk said:

Homework Statement

Find the current I and potential V for a simple diode circuit from the picture using
a) ideal diode model
b) CVD diode model (Vd=0,6 V)
[PLAIN]http://pokit.etf.ba/get/36406f902c2c24bd8a3c4ffa8fe97b78.jpg

Homework Equations

U=RI
I1+I2=I

The Attempt at a Solution

This diode can be on or off right? I do the calculations for the ON method, and i get that I=I1+I2=-0,2 mA, now my mates said that they get that right result is that the diode is OFF. I do not understand this, this isn't a real assignment, more like a theoretical question.

Can you help me?

Thanks

One way to approach problems like this is to first substitute a short for the diode and solve for the voltages, and then substitute an open for the diode and solve for the voltages. In those two cases, what is the output voltage? What does that tell you about which state the diode will be in?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the procedure, with replacing ideal diodes with a wire etc. But when I give it an open switch case, I cannot calculate anything, at least not by my knowledge... Because I have that unknown V potential

Bassalisk said:
I know the procedure, with replacing ideal diodes with a wire etc. But when I give it an open switch case, I cannot calculate anything, at least not by my knowledge... Because I have that unknown V potential

I believe that V is only the output voltage. In problems like this, at least as shown above, V is not an additional unknown input voltage. So when the diode is open, what is the output voltage V?

berkeman said:
I believe that V is only the output voltage. In problems like this, at least as shown above, V is not an additional unknown input voltage. So when the diode is open, what is the output voltage V?

That's the problem, i only know how to calculate when you replace the potentials as input voltage... How do you do that then? Is there a method or something like that?

Bassalisk said:
That's the problem, i only know how to calculate when you replace the potentials as input voltage... How do you do that then? Is there a method or something like that?

Picture yourself hooking a voltmeter to that point V. When the diode is open circuit, all you have is 7V connected to your voltmeter through a resistor. Assume that your voltmeter is ideal, so its input resistance is infinite. What does the voltmeter read?

berkeman said:
Picture yourself hooking a voltmeter to that point V. When the diode is open circuit, all you have is 7V connected to your voltmeter through a resistor. Assume that your voltmeter is ideal, so its input resistance is infinite. What does the voltmeter read?

Ooooh i get it, so there is no current running, and the potential just transfers to that point? And the voltmeter would read 7 V also?

Bassalisk said:
Ooooh i get it, so there is no current running, and the potential just transfers to that point? And the voltmeter would read 7 V also?

Correct. So if the diode is reverse biased, it stays reverse biased (off).

Is there any reason for it to get forward biased in that circuit? Instead of substituting a short for the diode, what happens if you substitute a 20k resistor?

berkeman said:
Correct. So if the diode is reverse biased, it stays reverse biased (off).

Is there any reason for it to get forward biased in that circuit? Instead of substituting a short for the diode, what happens if you substitute a 20k resistor?

I came to the conclusion that in the case that we discussed before, u get -4 V drop on the diode, which we want! Reverse polarized has negative voltage. So there is no need to check the other case...

Bassalisk said:
I came to the conclusion that in the case that we discussed before, u get -4 V drop on the diode, which we want! Reverse polarized has negative voltage. So there is no need to check the other case...

Sounds good to me.

Thank you very much!

Related to Solving Diode Circuits: I & V for Ideal & CVD Models

1. What is a diode circuit?

A diode circuit is a type of electronic circuit that includes one or more diodes, which are electronic components that allow current to flow in only one direction. Diodes are commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and power supplies.

2. What is an ideal diode model?

An ideal diode model is a simplified representation of a diode that assumes it has zero resistance when conducting current in the forward direction and infinite resistance when conducting current in the reverse direction. This model is often used in circuit analysis to simplify calculations.

3. What is a CVD diode model?

A CVD (constant-voltage drop) diode model is a more accurate representation of a diode that takes into account its internal resistance and voltage drop. Unlike the ideal diode model, the CVD model considers the non-ideal characteristics of a diode and is often used in more complex circuit analysis.

4. How do you solve a diode circuit using the I-V method?

To solve a diode circuit using the I-V method, you need to draw the circuit diagram and label the components with their respective values. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to calculate the current and voltage values at different points in the circuit. Finally, you can use the diode's I-V characteristic curve to determine the actual current and voltage values at the diode.

5. What are some practical applications of solving diode circuits?

Solving diode circuits is essential in the design and analysis of electronic devices and systems. Some practical applications include power supply design, signal rectification, and voltage regulation. Diode circuits are also used in communication systems, audio amplifiers, and many other electronic devices.