Solving Diophantine equation stuck, what do I do next?

• Thread starter jdnhldn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the equation x' + y' = \text{gcd}(a,b) can be solved for x and y if we know the gcd of a and b.
jdnhldn

Homework Statement

I am trying to determine if an diophantine equation is solveable or not. And got stuck at one point.

Homework Equations

61x+37y=2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the gcd(61,37)=1 by:

61/37=1 %24
37/24=1 %13
24/13=1 %11
13/11=1 %2
11/2=5 %1
2/1=2 %0

So gcd(61,37)=1

I know that I now should go backwards and express gcd(61,37) as a linear combination of61 and 37. But I don't understand it?

Physics news on Phys.org
jdnhldn said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to determine if an diophantine equation is solveable or not. And got stuck at one point.

Homework Equations

61x+37y=2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the gcd(61,37)=1 by:

61/37=1 %24
37/24=1 %13
24/13=1 %11
13/11=1 %2
11/2=5 %1
2/1=2 %0

So gcd(61,37)=1

I know that I now should go backwards and express gcd(61,37) as a linear combination of61 and 37. But I don't understand it?

you should do like this, it maybe help to see

61 = (1)37 + 24
37 = (1)24 + 13
24 = (1)13 + 11
13 = (1)11 + 2
11 =(5)2 +1

so 1 = 11 - (5)2

you know 2 = 13 - (1)11 and 11 = 24 - (1)13 and similar to 13 and 24

just play with the numbers until you get the form 1 = (...)61 + (...)37

annoymage said:
you should do like this, it maybe help to see

61 = (1)37 + 24
37 = (1)24 + 13
24 = (1)13 + 11
13 = (1)11 + 2
11 =(5)2 +1

so 1 = 11 - (5)2

you know 2 = 13 - (1)11 and 11 = 24 - (1)13 and similar to 13 and 24

just play with the numbers until you get the form 1 = (...)61 + (...)37

Thank you, but is there a quick way to see if the equation is solvable or not? Or do I need to go all the way to find out?

jdnhldn said:
Thank you, but is there a quick way to see if the equation is solvable or not? Or do I need to go all the way to find out?

You can always solve [tex]ax + by = k \text{gcd}(a,b)[/tex] (This is Bezout's identity and it is solved using the Euclidean algorithm).

Clearly if [tex]x',y'[/tex] solves [tex]ax' + by' = \text{gcd}(a,b)[/tex] then [tex]x = kx', y = ky'[/tex] solves [tex]ax + by = k \text{gcd}(a,b)[/tex], Thus you only have to work on [tex]ax' + by' = \text{gcd}(a,b)[/tex], you can use the hint annoymage gives to prove this once and for all (as well as calculate [tex]x'[/tex] and [tex]y'[/tex] in specific cases where the numbers are given).

Thank you, I've got it. Now I saw the lights.

The "(n)" made me see it clearly. Thank you so much.

FAQ: Solving Diophantine equation stuck, what do I do next?

1. How do I approach solving a Diophantine equation?

To solve a Diophantine equation, you first need to understand the basics of Diophantine equations and their properties. Then, you can try using different methods such as factoring, substitution, or the Euclidean algorithm to find a solution.

2. I'm stuck on a Diophantine equation, what should I do next?

If you are stuck on a Diophantine equation, it's important to step back and review your approach. Make sure you have fully understood the problem and have tried different methods. You can also seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

3. Is there a specific formula for solving Diophantine equations?

No, there is no one formula for solving Diophantine equations. Each equation is unique and may require a different approach. It's important to understand the properties of Diophantine equations and try different methods to find a solution.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve Diophantine equations?

While you may be able to use a calculator for simpler Diophantine equations, it's important to understand the concepts and methods involved in solving these equations. Calculators may not be able to handle more complex equations, so it's best to have a thorough understanding of the problem.

5. Where can I find resources for solving Diophantine equations?

You can find resources for solving Diophantine equations online, in textbooks, or through a teacher or tutor. There are also many problem-solving websites and forums where you can find step-by-step solutions to different Diophantine equations.