Solving Double Integral: Struggling with Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempts to solve a double integral with a given region of integration and the variables u and v. The resulting integral is unable to be solved due to either a zero Jacobian or the use of incorrect variables. It is later discovered that the given region of integration is incorrect, leading to the correct solution.
Schwartz
I need to solve a double integral and I have no idea what to change the variables to:
[tex] \iint_{R} \cos ( \frac{y-x}{y+x}) \ dA [/tex]
[tex] R=\{(x,y) \mid \ -x+1 \leq y \leq -x+2, 1 \leq x \leq 2 \}
[/tex]
I tried to set [itex] u=y-x [/itex] and [itex]v=y+x[/itex], but I still can't solve the resulting integral. I also tried setting [itex] v + u= \frac{y-x}{y+x} [/itex] and differentiating implicitly when finding the Jacobian, but the Jacobian turns out to be zero.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \iint_{R} \cos ( \frac{y-x}{y+x}) \ dA = \iint_{R} \cos ( 1 - \frac{2x}{y+x}) \ dA [/tex]
[tex] R=\{(x,y) \mid \ -x+1 \leq y \leq -x+2, 1 \leq x \leq 2 \} \\[/tex]
[tex] u = 2x [/tex]
[tex] v = x+y \\ [/tex]
[tex] R=\{(u,v) \mid \ 1 \leq v \leq 2, \ 2 \leq u \leq 4 \}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial (x,y)}{\partial (u,v)} = \frac{1}{2} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{2} \int_{1}^{2} \int_{2}^{4} \cos ( 1- \frac{u}{v}) \ dudv [/tex]

After putting in these variables, I can't solve the integral. If I change what u and v are, then either the Jacobian is zero or I still can't solve the intergral.

Last edited:
[tex] u=2x[/tex]
[tex] v= \frac{1}{y+x} [/tex]

[tex] R=\{(u,v) \mid \ \frac{1}{2} \leq v \leq 1, \ 2 \leq u \leq 4 \}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial (x,y)}{\partial (u,v)} = \frac{1}{2v^2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \int_{ \frac{1}{2} }^{1} \int_{2}^{4} \frac{1}{2v^2} \cos ( 1- uv) \ dudv [/tex]

I can't do this one either.

Last edited:
There's a good reason for that!

The value of that integral is:

[tex] \frac{1}{4} \left[ -\sin 1\cos 4 + 4\sin 1 \cos ^{2} 2 -4\cos 1 \cos 4 -20\sin 1 \mbox{Ci}(2)+16\sin 1 \mbox{Ci}(4)-16\cos 1 \mbox{Si}(4) \right.[/tex]
[tex] -4\cos 1\cos 2 \sin 2 -4\sin 1\sin 4 +10\sin 1\sin 2+20\cos 1\mbox{Si}(2)-4\cos ^{2} 1 +3\cos 1\sin 2 [/tex]
[tex]\left. +10\cos 1\cos 2-3\sin 1\cos 2 -4\cos 1 \mbox{Si}(1) + 4\sin 1\mbox{Ci}(1)-4\sin^{2} 1 + \cos 1 \sin 4 \right] [/tex] :bugeye:

so says maple, where Ci and Si are the cosine and sine integral functions :cry: .

Last edited:
Well, the answer should be [itex] \frac{3}{2} \sin 1 [/itex], so I think that this problem is probably an error in my book.

I'll see what my professor says about it. Thanks.

I get that problem from Stewart, Calculus 4th ed. ch15.9 promblem # 21 (I had that text for clalc I->III). The given answer is [itex] \frac{3}{2} \sin 1 [/itex] how ever the given region of integration is the trapezoidal region with verticies (1,0), (2,0), (0,2), and (0,1). Your bounds should then be:

[tex] R=\{(x,y) \mid \ -x+1 \leq y \leq -x+2, 0 \leq x \leq 2 \}[/tex]

yeah, i figured it out. I was just being dumb. Thanks.

Related to Solving Double Integral: Struggling with Variables

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used to find the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional space. It is represented by two integral symbols and involves integrating a function with respect to two variables.

2. How do I solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you first need to identify the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or using a polar coordinate system to simplify the integral. After solving the integral, you can evaluate the result to find the volume under the surface.

3. What are the common challenges when solving a double integral?

Some common challenges when solving a double integral include determining the correct limits of integration, choosing the appropriate technique to simplify the integral, and managing the complexity of the resulting equation. It is also important to pay attention to the order of integration, as switching the order can lead to different results.

4. How do I deal with multiple variables in a double integral?

In a double integral, you may encounter multiple variables, such as x and y. To solve the integral, you can treat one variable as a constant and integrate with respect to the other variable first. Then, you can switch the roles and integrate with respect to the remaining variable.

5. What are some tips for solving double integrals?

Some useful tips for solving double integrals include sketching the region of integration, choosing an appropriate coordinate system, and breaking down the integral into smaller parts if necessary. It is also helpful to review the properties of integrals, such as linearity and the fundamental theorem of calculus, to simplify the calculations.