Solving Dynamics Problem: Boat Mass m, Velocity v0, Friction Force Fd

• Thread starter rammer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the conversation discusses using Newton's second law and integration to find the time it takes for a boat with a mass of 1000 kg and an initial velocity of 324 ms^-1 to slow down to a velocity of 162 ms^-1. The friction force between the boat and water is proportional to velocity, and it is used to calculate the acceleration. The conversation also touches on finding the velocity in terms of time and using initial conditions to solve for the integration constant.
rammer

Homework Statement

A boat has mass m=1000 kg and is moving at velocity v0=324 ms^-1. Friction force btw the boat and water is proportional to velocity v, Fd=70*v. How long it takes to slow down to 162ms^-1 ?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure which function should I integrate, because acceleration is not constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand Friction force and acceleration as functions of v, but I have no idea how to express these as functions of time, since acc is not constant. Then I would integrate a(t) with respect to time and substitute final velocity for v(t) and from that I'd get the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a force diagram, and apply Newton's 2nd law. You can get the acceleration that way. Then use [itex]a = \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] to get a differential equation. Solve it and find [itex]v[/itex] in terms of [itex]t[/itex]. Solve for [itex]t[/itex] and substitute correct value of [itex]v[/itex] to find the time.

a=-70v/m
∫dv=∫(-70v/m)dt
v=-70/m ∫vdt - the problem is I do not know v in terms of t :(

Instead of your second line, do this,
[tex]\int{\frac{dv}{v}}=\int{\frac{-70 dt}{m}}[/tex]

I have to correct given informtion v0=25 ms^-1 and v=12.5 ms^-1

Ok, I tried your suggestion and from that I get:

t = (-m*(ln(v) + v0))/70 -what doesn't seem right

After substituting v = 12.5 I get t = 393 s and that is wrong (correct answer should be 9.9s)

rammer said:
t = (-m*(ln(v) + v0))/70
This does not agree with my final answer.

Check whether you applied the initial boundary condition (v = v0 when t=0 ) correctly.

At t = 0, I'm pretty sure, the integration constant is equal vo (=25).

Not ln(vo) ?

Yes, you're right, thanks. I finally got it correct. My mistake was I put the constant directly from initial conditions, not solving from integrated function.

FAQ: Solving Dynamics Problem: Boat Mass m, Velocity v0, Friction Force Fd

1. How do I calculate the acceleration of the boat in this dynamics problem?

The acceleration of the boat can be calculated using the formula: a = (F - Fd) / m, where F is the force propelling the boat and Fd is the friction force acting against it.

2. Can I use the velocity of the boat to determine the force propelling it?

Yes, the force propelling the boat can be calculated using the formula: F = m * (v - v0) / t, where m is the mass of the boat, v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken to reach the final velocity.

3. What is the role of friction force in this dynamics problem?

The friction force, Fd, acts in the opposite direction of the boat's motion and reduces its speed. It is caused by the resistance of the water against the boat's hull and can be calculated using the formula: Fd = u * m * g, where u is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the boat, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Is it important to consider the mass of the boat in this dynamics problem?

Yes, the mass of the boat plays a crucial role in determining its acceleration and the forces acting upon it. A heavier boat will require more force to move and will experience a greater friction force, affecting its overall motion.

5. Can this dynamics problem be solved without knowing the friction force?

No, the friction force is an essential component of this problem and must be known in order to accurately calculate the boat's acceleration and the force propelling it. It is necessary to consider all forces acting on the boat in order to solve this problem.