Solving Electricy Probs: Determining Resistance & Current + Circuit Diagram

• Thread starter shemer77
  • Start date
In summary, the hairdryer needs a battery with a voltage of 120 V to work properly. The mixer needs a battery with a voltage of 60 V to work properly. The mixer's internal resistance can be found the same way as the hairdryer's. The mixer consumes 120 W when it is working properly. The circuit needs 60 ohm resistors to provide voltage drops to make the mixer work properly.
shemer77

Homework Statement

You are given a 120 V battery; a hair dryer designed to work properly at 120V, where its rated at 1200 W; and a mixer designed to work properly at 60v, where its rated at 120W. You also happen to have a supply of 60 ohm resistors.

a) determine the resistance of the hairdryer and the mixer at their rated voltages

B) what current is established in the mixer when its working properly

C) using the symbols shown, draw the connections needed to make both devices work simultaneously
Symbols
a resistor
a battery
a box with the letter h signfiying hair dryer
and a box signifying mixer

d) what power must the battery supply to run your circuit?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)I think the resistance of the hairdryer is 12, but how would I found the mixers?
B) don't know how to approach this one?
c) same as above
d) wait wait... nope, don't know how to this one either.

My teacher likes to assign homework on stuff we havant learned yet :(

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you find out the resistance of the dryer? Is there an equation for power in electrics?

Last edited:
shemer77 said:
a)I think the resistance of the hairdryer is 12, but how would I found the mixers?
B) don't know how to approach this one?
c) same as above
d) wait wait... nope, don't know how to this one either.

Power = VI = I2R = V2 / R

A) The hairdryer's internal resistance is correct. The mixer's internal resistance can be found the same way.

B) When the mixer is working properly you know the voltage across its terminals is 60 V and you know how much power it is consuming, 120 W. You found the mixer's internal resistance in part A. See the above power relationships.

C) You know the voltages both of the devices need to operate at, and you know the source voltage, 120 V. Also, you have 60 ohm resistors to use to cause voltage drops in parts of the circuit. Think about parallel and series connections.

D) Once you have designed the correct circuit, you just need to come up with an Req and determine the source current. Then see the above power relationships.

thanks, solved this one easy. Just needed the right push.

Related to Solving Electricy Probs: Determining Resistance & Current + Circuit Diagram

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how difficult it is for electric current to flow through a material. It is measured in Ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol R.

How do you determine resistance in a circuit?

To determine resistance, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This can be represented by the equation R=V/I.

What is current?

Current is the flow of electric charge in a circuit. It is measured in Amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol I.

How do you calculate current in a circuit?

To calculate current, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation I=V/R.

What is a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a graphical representation of an electrical circuit. It uses symbols to represent the different components of a circuit and shows how they are connected. It is used to visualize and understand how electricity flows through a circuit.