Solving Entropy Change for 0.7 kg of Water in 12 Minutes

In summary, a student is trying to calculate the change in entropy per second in J/K s for freezing 0.7 kg of water in 12 minutes. They find the rate of heat flow out of the water and use the equation change in entropy (S) = energy absorbed or expelled/constant temperature to calculate the change in entropy. After realizing that the removal of heat decreases the entropy of the system, they make the necessary adjustments to find the correct answer of -1.18 J/K*sec.
pmg

Homework Statement

Suppose that you want to freeze 0.7 kg of water for a party, and only have 12 minutes to do it. The temperature inside the refrigeration unit is 273 K, and the temperature outside is Thot = 309 K. Since you are a brilliant UW student, assume that your refrigerator has the maximum possible efficiency. Assume also that the initial temperature of the water is 273 K. The Latent Heat of Fusion of water is 3.33×105 J/kg.

What is the change in entropy in the water per second in J/K s?

Homework Equations

change in entropy (S) = energy absorbed or expelled/constant temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found that the Qhot/time =366.44J/sec
Qcold/time =323.75J/sec

By my understanding the delta S should = .7kg * 3.33E5 J/kg / (273K*720sec)
But 1.18 J/K*sec is not an accepted answer.
What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try restating your relevant equation; entropy is not energy. Do this and the problem is straightforward.

Try showing us your intermediate steps. How did you get your Qs.

Also, your relevant equation looks okay to me (unless I am missing something). Since, [itex]S_2-S_1=\int_1^2\frac{\delta Q}{T}[/itex]
Assuming constant T gives [itex]\Delta S=Q_{12}/T[/itex]

pmg said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that you want to freeze 0.7 kg of water for a party, and only have 12 minutes to do it. The temperature inside the refrigeration unit is 273 K, and the temperature outside is Thot = 309 K. Since you are a brilliant UW student, assume that your refrigerator has the maximum possible efficiency. Assume also that the initial temperature of the water is 273 K. The Latent Heat of Fusion of water is 3.33×105 J/kg.

What is the change in entropy in the water per second in J/K s?

Homework Equations

change in entropy (S) = energy absorbed or expelled/constant temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found that the Qhot/time =366.44J/sec
Qcold/time =323.75J/sec

By my understanding the delta S should = .7kg * 3.33E5 J/kg / (273K*720sec)
But 1.18 J/K*sec is not an accepted answer.
What am I doing wrong?
The entropy calculation does not involve mass. The mass determines the amount of heat that must be removed in order to freeze the water. You have correctly determined the rate of heat flow out of the water. Since temperature is constant it is a simple calculation to determine the change in entropy of the water per second.

AM

Thanks fellas,
By taking the Latent heat of fusion times the weight of water divided by the absolute temp and the time (3.33x10^5*.7kg/(273K*720sec) I was finding the right answer. I just needed to remember that by removing heat from the water, the entropy of the system was actually decreasing--and exothermic process. Making the anwser -1.18J/K*sec.
Thanks again.

Related to Solving Entropy Change for 0.7 kg of Water in 12 Minutes

1. What is the formula for calculating entropy change?

The formula for calculating entropy change is ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat added or removed, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. How do you solve for entropy change in a given system?

To solve for entropy change in a given system, you need to know the amount of heat added or removed (Q) and the temperature (T) at which the change occurs. Then, plug these values into the formula ΔS = Q/T and solve for ΔS.

3. What is the unit of measurement for entropy change?

The unit of measurement for entropy change is Joules per Kelvin (J/K), or more commonly, Joules per mole-Kelvin (J/mol-K) for chemical systems.

4. How do you convert from Celsius to Kelvin when calculating entropy change?

To convert from Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273.15 to the temperature in Celsius. For example, if the temperature is given as 25°C, the equivalent in Kelvin would be 298.15K.

5. Can you use the formula for entropy change to solve for the change in entropy for any system?

Yes, the formula ΔS = Q/T can be used to solve for entropy change in any system as long as the values for heat (Q) and temperature (T) are known.