Solving Entropy Expression Homework Statement

In summary: TdS = d(\rho V) + PdV - \mu d(nV)dU = d[(\rho V) - (nV\mu)] + VdP + pdVNext, use the following identity:dU = TdS - pdVto eliminate dU:d[(\rho V) - (nV\mu)] + VdP + pdV = d(\rho V) + PdV - \mu d(nV) Simplifying, we get:VdP + pdV = \mu d(nV)Substituting this into the original equation for TdS, we get:TdS =
ChrisVer
Gold Member

Homework Statement

From the 2nd TD law:
[itex] TdS= d(\rho V) + P dV - \mu d(nV) [/itex]

find that:
[itex] S= \frac{V}{T} (\rho+P- \mu n)[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] \frac{dP}{dT}= \frac{P+\rho - \mu n}{T}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] TdS= d[(\rho+ P- \mu n) V] - V dP + nV d \mu [/itex]

or I can write:

[itex] dS=\frac{1}{T} d[(\rho+ P- \mu n) V] - \frac{V}{T} dP + \frac{nV}{T} d \mu [/itex]

Now I write that (using the given formula):
[itex] dP= \frac{P+\rho - \mu n}{T} dT [/itex]

[itex] dS=\frac{1}{T} d[(\rho+ P- \mu n) V] - V (P+\rho - \mu n) \frac{dT}{T^{2}} + \frac{nV}{T} d \mu [/itex]

My problem is that this result gives the correct formula I'm looking for the entropy, except for the last [itex] \frac{nV}{T} d \mu [/itex]

For the last I tried to take:

[itex] \frac{dS}{dT}= \frac{dS}{d \mu} \frac{d \mu}{dT}= \frac{nV}{T} \frac{d \mu}{dT} [/itex]

[itex] \frac{d^{2}S}{d(nV)dT}= \frac{1}{T} \frac{d \mu}{dT} [/itex]

Also:
[itex]\frac{dS}{d(nV)}= -\frac{ \mu }{T}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d^{2}S}{dT d(nV)}= \frac{ \mu }{T^{2}}[/itex]

So that I have:

[itex] \frac{1}{T} \frac{d \mu}{dT} =\frac{ \mu }{T^{2}}[/itex]
That means:
[itex] d \mu = \frac{ \mu }{T} dT [/itex]

Inserting in the expression for the entropy at last:

[itex] dS=\frac{1}{T} d[(\rho+ P- \mu n) V] - V (P+\rho - \mu n) \frac{dT}{T^{2}} + (nV \mu) \frac{dT}{T^{2}} [/itex]

Which can't be written as:

[itex] dS= d[(\rho+ P- \mu n) \frac{V}{T}] [/itex]
due to the last term...

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:

Homework Statement

From the 2nd TD law:

find that:
[itex] S= \frac{V}{T} (\rho+P- \mu n)[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] \frac{dP}{dT}= \frac{P+\rho - \mu n}{T}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] TdS= d[(\rho+ P- \mu n) V] - V dP + nV d \mu [/itex]

or I can write:

[itex] dS=\frac{1}{T} d[(\rho+ P- \mu n) V] - \frac{V}{T} dP + \frac{nV}{T} d \mu [/itex]

Now I write that (using the given formula):
[itex] dP= \frac{P+\rho - \mu n}{T} dT [/itex]

[itex] dS=\frac{1}{T} d[(\rho+ P- \mu n) V] - V (P+\rho - \mu n) \frac{dT}{T^{2}} + \frac{nV}{T} d \mu [/itex]

My problem is that this result gives the correct formula I'm looking for the entropy, except for the last [itex] \frac{nV}{T} d \mu [/itex]

For the last I tried to take:

[itex] \frac{dS}{dT}= \frac{dS}{d \mu} \frac{d \mu}{dT}= \frac{nV}{T} \frac{d \mu}{dT} [/itex]

[itex] \frac{d^{2}S}{d(nV)dT}= \frac{1}{T} \frac{d \mu}{dT} [/itex]

Also:
[itex]\frac{dS}{d(nV)}= -\frac{ \mu }{T}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d^{2}S}{dT d(nV)}= \frac{ \mu }{T^{2}}[/itex]

So that I have:

[itex] \frac{1}{T} \frac{d \mu}{dT} =\frac{ \mu }{T^{2}}[/itex]
That means:
[itex] d \mu = \frac{ \mu }{T} dT [/itex]

Inserting in the expression for the entropy at last:

[itex] dS=\frac{1}{T} d[(\rho+ P- \mu n) V] - V (P+\rho - \mu n) \frac{dT}{T^{2}} + (nV \mu) \frac{dT}{T^{2}} [/itex]

Which can't be written as:

[itex] dS= d[(\rho+ P- \mu n) \frac{V}{T}] [/itex]
due to the last term...

Any help?

Start with:

[tex]dU = TdS - pdV + \mu dN[/tex]

FAQ: Solving Entropy Expression Homework Statement

What is entropy?

Entropy is a scientific concept that describes the level of disorder or randomness in a system. It is a measure of the amount of energy that is unavailable for work within a system.

How is entropy expressed in homework problems?

Entropy is typically expressed in homework problems using the formula S = kln(W), where S is the entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates or configurations that a system can have at a given energy.

What is the significance of solving entropy expression homework problems?

Solving entropy expression homework problems helps to develop a deeper understanding of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, which are important fields in the study of physical and chemical systems.

What are some common applications of entropy?

Entropy has many applications in various fields, including thermodynamics, information theory, and biology. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of systems such as chemical reactions, heat engines, and biological processes.

What are some tips for solving entropy expression homework problems?

1. Understand the concept of entropy and how it relates to the system being studied.2. Identify the known and unknown variables in the problem and organize them.3. Use the appropriate formula and substitute the known values.4. Pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent.5. Double-check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.

Back