Solving Equation 4: Progress & Questions

• MHB
  • Thread starter Petrus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the real value of x that satisfies the equation 4cos^2(x)-4=6cos(x). The conversation mentions using the substitution u=cos(x) to solve the equation and obtaining two solutions, x=3pi/2+2kpi and x=-3pi/2+2kpi. The conversation also mentions the inverse cosine function and its multivalued nature, as well as the importance of graphing to ensure all solutions are found. The final part of the conversation discusses the equality of cos(x) and cos(-x) and its implications for finding solutions.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
This is an old exam.What real x satisfies equation \(\displaystyle 4\cos^2(x)-4=6\cos(x)\)

Progress:
Subsitute \(\displaystyle u=\cos(x)\) and I solve this equation
\(\displaystyle 4u^2-6u-4=0 \)
\(\displaystyle u_1=-\frac{1}{2}\) and \(\displaystyle u_2=2\)
so if we take arccos of them we get
\(\displaystyle x=\frac{3\pi}{2}+2k\pi\) which agree with facit but they got also \(\displaystyle x=-\frac{3\pi}{2}+2k\pi\) which I don't understand also how shall I know what \(\displaystyle x=\cos^{-1}(2)\) is in exam? I am doing something wrong or..?

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: cos equation

Well, $\cos{(x)} = \cos{(x + 2 \pi)}$ by definition ($2 \pi$ is like adding one whole revolution to your angle, so it's the same angle). The inverse cosine function is multivalued, but $\arccos$ is defined as the principal value. Then $\cos{(x)} = \cos{(-x)}$ and so that second value follows (can you see why?)

You need to be careful here because manipulating such multivalued functions can create or destroy solutions to your original equation, so always graph your equation to get a rough idea where the roots are to be sure you didn't miss any and so on.

EDIT: inb4 reply tsunami (Tongueout)

Last edited:

I think you mean to write one of the solutions is:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{2\pi}{3}+2k\pi\) where \(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{Z}\)

and since $\cos(-\theta)=\cos(\theta)$, we also have:

\(\displaystyle x=-\frac{2\pi}{3}+2k\pi\)

which means we may write:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{2\pi}{3}(6k\pm1)\)

Hello MHB,Thanks for fast responed and help! I will have to check this more :) I have indeed seen that \(\displaystyle \cos(x)=\cos(-x)\) but I don't think I know why but I will think about this and how does it work with sinus?

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Hello |\pi\rangle,

Great job on solving the equation and finding the values of u. The solution x=\frac{3\pi}{2}+2k\pi is correct, but the solution x=-\frac{3\pi}{2}+2k\pi is also valid. This is because the equation has multiple solutions, and both of these values for x satisfy the equation.

As for the value x=\cos^{-1}(2), you are correct in saying that it is not a valid solution. This is because the range of the arccosine function is limited to [-1,1], so any value outside of this range would not be a valid input for the function. In an exam, you should be familiar with the range of the inverse trigonometric functions and be able to identify invalid solutions.

Keep up the good work and continue practicing solving equations to improve your skills.

Best regards,

FAQ: Solving Equation 4: Progress & Questions

1. What is equation 4 and why is it important?

Equation 4 is a mathematical representation of progress, typically used in scientific research and problem-solving. It is important because it allows scientists to quantify and measure progress in a systematic and objective manner.

2. How can equation 4 be applied in different fields of science?

Equation 4 can be applied in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It can be used to track progress in experiments, analyze data, and make predictions about future outcomes.

3. What are the components of equation 4 and how are they calculated?

The components of equation 4 may vary depending on the specific application, but generally it involves identifying the variables and constants involved in the problem, determining the relationships between them, and using mathematical operations to solve for the desired outcome.

4. How can equation 4 help in problem-solving and decision making?

Equation 4 provides a structured and logical approach to problem-solving and decision making. By breaking down a problem into its components and using mathematical calculations, scientists can make informed and data-driven decisions that lead to progress.

5. What are some common challenges in solving equation 4 and how can they be overcome?

Some common challenges in solving equation 4 include identifying the correct variables and relationships, dealing with complex data and equations, and interpreting the results accurately. These challenges can be overcome by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking assistance from colleagues or experts, and carefully analyzing the data and results.