Solving equation with numerical analysis

In summary, Analytical solutions are not possible for equations such as 2.3.25, so numerical techniques must be used instead. These techniques involve substituting numerical values for variables and solving for the desired variable using a numerical method.
AeroTron
need hint/help or perhaps a solution :smile:
Equations are from Propeller Blade Theory. I´m trying to figure out how to determine
[itex]\epsilon[/itex]_i from equation 2.3.25

my first thought was to substitute sin(A+B) = sinA*cosB + cosA*sinB...

it says quote: " This equation is easily solved numerically" but I have no clue what to do or where to start.

Thanks

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 549
Mathematics news on Phys.org
A numerical solution deals with numbers. In the absence of better advice, this is how I'd interpret it:

Substitute a numerical value for each variable in equation 2.3.25 until you have an equation comprising numbers, r, εi and nothing else. Then, for example,

for r=5 to 300 in steps of .1
solve for the corresponding εi (do this using a numerical technique)

To your graph of εi vs. r fit a simple polynomial to allow easy mathematical analysis for the region of practical interest.

Does that sound right?

AeroTron said:
my first thought was to substitute sin(A+B) = sinA*cosB + cosA*sinB...

it says quote: " This equation is easily solved numerically" but I have no clue what to do or where to start.

Thanks
You are trying to solve the equation analytically. There is no closed form analytic solution to that equation, at least not in the elementary functions.

There are plenty of relations that can be expressed very simply one way but not the reverse. A very simple example is Kepler's equation, [itex]M = E - e\sin E[/itex]. There is no simple way to express [itex]E[/itex] in terms of [itex]e[/itex] and [itex]M[/itex]. One instead solves the reverse Kepler problem using numerical methods.

The same applies to your problem. Your problem is a transcendental equation, and transcendental equations in general do not have closed form solutions. So you use numerical techniques instead. This page, http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Numerical_Methods/Equation_Solving gives a brief overview of some of the numerical techniques that can be used to solve such equations.

FAQ: Solving equation with numerical analysis

1. What is numerical analysis?

Numerical analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with developing methods for solving mathematical problems using numerical approximation techniques. It involves using algorithms and computer programs to solve complex equations and problems that cannot be solved analytically.

2. How does numerical analysis help in solving equations?

Numerical analysis uses various mathematical techniques to transform a complex equation into a simpler form that can be easily solved using numerical methods. These methods involve breaking down the equation into smaller parts, approximating the solutions, and then refining the approximations until an accurate solution is obtained.

3. What are some common numerical methods used for solving equations?

Some commonly used numerical methods for solving equations include the bisection method, the Newton-Raphson method, and the secant method. These methods involve repeatedly refining an initial guess for the solution until an accurate result is obtained.

4. What are the advantages of using numerical analysis to solve equations?

Numerical analysis allows for the solution of complex equations and problems that cannot be solved analytically. It also provides a more accurate solution compared to hand calculations. Additionally, numerical analysis can handle a wide range of equations and problems, making it a versatile tool for scientists and engineers.

5. Are there any limitations to using numerical analysis for solving equations?

While numerical analysis is a powerful tool, it also has some limitations. It can sometimes be time-consuming and computationally expensive, especially for large and complex equations. Additionally, the results obtained using numerical methods are only approximations and not exact solutions.