Solving Equilibrium Expression: Balancing HOCl Reaction for Basic Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the instability of aqueous solutions of hypochlorous acid and the corresponding reaction in basic solutions. The balanced reaction in basic solution is shown to be 2ClO- <--> Cl- + ClO2-. The question prompts the consideration of what happens to the weak acid in a basic solution.
Zeitgeist

Homework Statement

Aqueous solutions of hypochlorous acid, HOCl, can be unstable due to the reaction:

2HOCl <--> Cl- + ClO2- + 2H+

(c) Write out the balanced reaction appropriate to basic solution corresponding to the reaction given above.

Homework Equations

K = [Cl-][ClO2-][H+]^2/[HOCl]^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is part of a bigger equilibrium constant experssions' problem. I have answered all the parts to this question, I just don't understand what they are asking for here in part (c)?

The answer given is:

2ClO- <--> Cl- + ClO2-

I don't understand how they got to that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think: what happens to the weak acid in a basic solution?

--

Related to Solving Equilibrium Expression: Balancing HOCl Reaction for Basic Solution

1. How do I balance a HOCl reaction for basic solution?

To balance a HOCl reaction for basic solution, you must first identify the reactants and products. Then, add water molecules to balance the oxygen atoms, and add hydroxide ions to balance the hydrogen atoms. Finally, add electrons to balance the charges on both sides of the equation.

2. What is the purpose of balancing a HOCl reaction for basic solution?

The purpose of balancing a HOCl reaction for basic solution is to ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. This is necessary for the reaction to follow the law of conservation of mass.

3. What do the letters and numbers in a balanced HOCl reaction for basic solution represent?

The letters represent the chemical symbols of the elements involved in the reaction, while the numbers represent the number of atoms of each element in the reaction. These numbers must be equal on both sides of the equation.

4. Can I use any method to balance a HOCl reaction for basic solution?

Yes, there are different methods that can be used to balance a HOCl reaction for basic solution, such as the ion-electron method and the oxidation number method. It is important to use a method that you are comfortable with and that works best for the specific reaction.

5. Is it necessary to balance a HOCl reaction for basic solution in all cases?

Yes, it is necessary to balance a HOCl reaction for basic solution in all cases. This ensures that the reaction follows the law of conservation of mass and that the correct products are formed. It also helps in determining the correct stoichiometric ratios for the reactants and products.