Solving Exact Diff. Eq: (5x+4y)dx+(4x-8y^3)dy=0

• MHB
  • Thread starter find_the_fun
  • Start date
In summary, we determine if a differential equation is exact by checking if the partial derivatives of the functions in the equation are equal. If it is exact, there exists a function f(x, y) that can be used to solve the equation. To solve for this function, we integrate one of the equations and set it equal to an arbitrary constant, as the one-parameter family of solutions is unaffected by a translation in the z-direction.
find_the_fun
Determine whether the given differential equation is exact. If it is, solve it.

\(\displaystyle (5x+4y)dx+(4x-8y^3)dy=0\)

So \(\displaystyle M(x, y) = 5x+4y\) and \(\displaystyle N(x, y)=4x-8y^3\)
Then \(\displaystyle \frac{\partial M}{\partial Y} = 4\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{\partial N}{\partial y} = 4\) therefore the equation is exact and there exists a function f such that

\(\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 5x+4y\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{ \partial f}{\partial y} = 4x-8y^3\)

\(\displaystyle \int 5x+4 dx = \frac{5}{2}x^2+4xy=g(y) = f(x,y)\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = 4x+g'(y) = 4x-8y^3\)

Now how do I solve for g(y)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
find_the_fun said:

\(\displaystyle (2x+y)dx-(x+6y)dy=0\)

So \(\displaystyle M(x, y) = 5x+4y\) and \(\displaystyle N(x, y)=4x-8y^3)\)
Then \(\displaystyle \frac{\partial M}{\partial Y} = 4\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{\partial N}{\partial y} = 4\) therefore the equation is exact and there exists a function f such that

\(\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 5x+4y\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{ \partial f}{\partial y} = 4x-8y^3\)

How did you get $N(x,y) = 4x - 8y^3$? It should be $N(x,y) = -(x + 6y)$, in which case $N_x = -1 \neq 1 = M_y$ and hence the equation is inexact.

Are you showing two different problems, one which is $(2x + y) dx - (x + 6y) dy = 0$ and the other which is $(5x + 4y) dx + (4x - 8y^3) dy = 0$?

Euge said:
How did you get $N(x,y) = 4x - 8y^3$? It should be $N(x,y) = -(x + 6y)$, in which case $N_x = -1 \neq 1 = M_y$ and hence the equation is inexact.

Are you showing two different problems, one which is $(2x + y) dx - (x + 6y) dy = 0$ and the other which is $(5x + 4y) dx + (4x - 8y^3) dy = 0$?

Sorry I copied the wrong question. It's fixed now.

find_the_fun said:

\(\displaystyle (5x+4y)dx+(4x-8y^3)dy=0\)

So \(\displaystyle M(x, y) = 5x+4y\) and \(\displaystyle N(x, y)=4x-8y^3\)

From $4x + g'(y) = 4x - 8y^3$, we get $g'(y) = -8y^3$. By integration, $g(y) = -2y^4 + C$, where $C$ is an arbitrary constant.

Euge said:
From $4x + g'(y) = 4x - 8y^3$, we get $g'(y) = -8y^3$. By integration, $g(y) = -2y^4 + C$, where $C$ is an arbitrary constant.

Ok. My textbook does a really poor job at explaining this step but I notice it doesn't include $C$. Can it be omitted for some reason, for example because you set the entire implicit equation equal to an arbitrary constant?

For example the answer is \(\displaystyle \frac{5}{2}x^2+4xy-2y^4=c\) and not\(\displaystyle \frac{5}{2}x^2+4xy-2y^4+c_1=c_2\)

Last edited:
find_the_fun said:
Ok. My textbook does a really poor job at explaining this step but I notice it doesn't include $C$. Can it be omitted for some reason, for example because you set the entire implicit equation equal to an arbitrary constant?

Yes, that's right.

Euge said:
Yes, that's right.

Actually I don't quite get what's going on. It seems like with exact equations we go through the steps to find a function f(x, y) we pulled out of thin air and now we say it's equal to some constant. How do we know it's equal to a constant? That basically means it doesn't change in the z-direction right?

Also the answer key often multiplies through by -1 but c is still c and not -c, is that the same reason?

$C$ is an arbitrary real constant, right? Then $-C$ is also an arbitrary real constant. You can replace it by $C$ without loss of generality.

find_the_fun said:
Actually I don't quite get what's going on. It seems like with exact equations we go through the steps to find a function f(x, y) we pulled out of thin air and now we say it's equal to some constant. How do we know it's equal to a constant? That basically means it doesn't change in the z-direction right?

Suppose you have an exact equation $M(x,y)\, dx + N(x,y)\,dy = 0$ in a domain $D \subset \Bbb R^2$. There is an $f : D \to \Bbb R$ such that $f_x = M$ and $f_y = N$. So the differential $df = f_x\, dx + f_y\, dy = M\, dx + N\, dy = 0$. The solutions to $df = 0$ are the level curves of the surface $z = f(x,y)$ in $D \times \Bbb R$. For every constant $C$, $d(f + C) = df + dC = df + 0 = 0$. It follows that for every constant $C$, the set level curves of $z = f(x,y)$ is equal to the set of level curves of $z = f(x,y) + C$. So the one-parameter family of solutions $f(x,y) = \text{constant}$ is unaffected by a translation in the $z$-direction.

FAQ: Solving Exact Diff. Eq: (5x+4y)dx+(4x-8y^3)dy=0

1. What is an exact differential equation?

An exact differential equation is a type of differential equation where the solution can be obtained by finding a function whose partial derivatives with respect to the independent variables match the coefficients of the variables in the equation. This means that the equation can be solved by integration rather than using other methods such as separation of variables.

2. How can I determine if a differential equation is exact?

To determine if a differential equation is exact, you can check if the partial derivatives of the coefficients with respect to each variable are equal. If they are equal, then the equation is exact and can be solved using the method of integration.

3. What is the process for solving an exact differential equation?

The process for solving an exact differential equation involves finding a function, called the integrating factor, that when multiplied to the entire equation, makes it exact. Then, you can integrate both sides of the equation to find the solution. The integrating factor is typically found by taking the partial derivative of the coefficient of one variable with respect to the other variable and then solving a separate differential equation.

4. Can this exact differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, an exact differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the integrating factor can be chosen in different ways, resulting in different solutions. However, all of these solutions will satisfy the original differential equation.

5. Can a computer program be used to solve this exact differential equation?

Yes, a computer program can be used to solve this exact differential equation. There are many software programs, such as MATLAB and Mathematica, that have built-in functions for solving differential equations. These programs use algorithms to find the solution of the exact differential equation, making it easier and faster than solving it by hand.