Solving Exp(-3ln(x)): Finding the Next Step | Homework Help

• Thread starter SteveDC
  • Start date
In summary, the next step for the given problem is to use the rule that ##e^{ln(x)} = x## and simplify to ##x^-3##. Option (b) is not correct as it violates the rule.
SteveDC

Homework Statement

Got to part of a problem where I have exp(-3ln(x)) and I am confused as to whether the next step is:

a) exp(ln(x^-3)) = x^-3

or

b) exp(-ln(x^3)) = -x^3

I think the correct step is (a) but not certain, any help would be great :)

Physics news on Phys.org
SteveDC said:

Homework Statement

Got to part of a problem where I have exp(-3ln(x)) and I am confused as to whether the next step is:

a) exp(ln(x^-3)) = x^-3

or

b) exp(-ln(x^3)) = -x^3

I think the correct step is (a) but not certain, any help would be great :)
Yes (a) is the correct result.

For (b):

exp(-ln(x^3)) = ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{e^{\ln (x^3)}}\ ## → ##\displaystyle \ \frac{1}{x^3} \ .##

Likes 1 person
SteveDC said:
b) exp(-ln(x^3)) = -x^3
Here it appears you're saying ##e^{-a} = -e^a##, that you can simply pull the minus sign out front, which you probably know isn't correct.

FAQ: Solving Exp(-3ln(x)): Finding the Next Step | Homework Help

What is Exp(-3ln(x))?

Exp(-3ln(x)) is a mathematical expression that represents the exponential function with a base of e raised to the power of -3 times the natural logarithm of x.

What is the purpose of solving Exp(-3ln(x))?

Solving Exp(-3ln(x)) can be useful in simplifying complex mathematical equations and in finding the inverse of exponential functions.

What are the steps to solve Exp(-3ln(x))?

To solve Exp(-3ln(x)), you can use the property of logarithms that states ln(a^b) = b*ln(a). This means that you can rewrite the expression as x^-3, which can then be simplified to 1/x^3.

What are the restrictions when solving Exp(-3ln(x))?

The only restriction when solving Exp(-3ln(x)) is that x must be a positive number. This is because the natural logarithm of a negative number is undefined.

What are some real-life applications of solving Exp(-3ln(x))?

Solving Exp(-3ln(x)) can be used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics to model exponential growth and decay phenomena.