Solving f(x) Inverse: x^2-4x, x∈R, |x|≤1

• Thread starter thereddevils
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the given function f(x)=x^2-4x, x∈R, |x|≤1 is a one-to-one function over its restricted domain. The inverse of this function is f^{-1}(x)=2±√(4+x), however, it is important to note that this function has two branches and the appropriate branch to use is determined by the restricted domain. Additionally, the range of the original function becomes the domain of the inverse function. The function is not bijective over all real numbers, but it does have an inverse multivalued function.
thereddevils
Given [tex]f(x)=x^2-4x[/tex] , [tex]x\in R[/tex] , [tex]|x|\leq 1[/tex]

so f(x) is a one to one function , and i am supposed to find its inverse .

and i found :

[tex]f^{-1}(x)=2\pm \sqrt{4+x}[/tex]

this is weird since a single input would give 2 different outputs and it can't be considered a function . But f(x) is a one-one function , so it should have an inverse ?

Physics news on Phys.org

You have solved the equation [itex]y=x^2-4x[/tex] for all x in R. Yet the original function only exist for |x|<=1. This restricts the domain such that it is one to one (it is not one to one for all x in R). Use this domain to determine which branch you need.

Cyosis said:
You have solved the equation [itex]y=x^2-4x[/tex] for all x in R. Yet the original function only exist for |x|<=1. This restricts the domain such that it is one to one (it is not one to one for all x in R). Use this domain to determine which branch you need.

thanks ,i thought so too but i am not sure how to see from the domain that the inverse should be 2+root(4+x) OR 2-root(4+x)

The domain of f is {x | |x| <= 1}. That domain can be written as an interval, which should help you figure out which branch to use for the inverse.

The range of f is the domain of f^-1. If f(a)=b then f^-1(b)=a.

Cyosis said:
The range of f is the domain of f^-1. If f(a)=b then f^-1(b)=a.

thanks again !

so the domain of f(x) is between 1 and -1 , and the range is between -3 and 5 , so the domain of f^(-1)(x) is also between -3 and 5 ? so both +ve and -ve would produce such range , err i am still confused ,

I suggest you plug in some numbers to see what happens.

Cyosis said:
I suggest you plug in some numbers to see what happens.

thanks !

thereddevils said:
But f(x) is a one-one function , so it should have an inverse ?
Broadening things out, it depends on what you mean by one-to-one. The term one-to-one means injective to some, bijective to others. The function is a one-to-one function by both meanings of the term over the domain |x|≤1. It is not bijective over all of the reals, so it does not have an inverse function for this extended domain. (It does however have an inverse multivalued function.)

FAQ: Solving f(x) Inverse: x^2-4x, x∈R, |x|≤1

1. What is the domain and range of the function f(x) = x^2-4x?

The domain of the function is all real numbers, denoted by x∈R. The range, however, is limited by the fact that the function is a quadratic, which means it will have a minimum or maximum value. In this case, the minimum value is -4, which occurs when x=2. Therefore, the range is all real numbers greater than or equal to -4, denoted by |x|≤1.

2. How do you solve for the inverse of f(x) = x^2-4x?

To find the inverse of a function, we switch the x and y variables and solve for y. In this case, we have the equation y = x^2-4x. We can rewrite this in the form x = y^2-4y. Then, using the quadratic formula, we find that the inverse function is y = 2±√(4+x), where x is the input of the original function.

3. Is the inverse function of f(x) = x^2-4x also a quadratic function?

Yes, the inverse function is also a quadratic function. This is because the inverse of a quadratic function will always be a quadratic function, unless the original function is not one-to-one, meaning it fails the horizontal line test.

4. What does the graph of f(x) = x^2-4x look like?

The graph of f(x) = x^2-4x is a parabola that opens upwards, with its vertex at (2,-4) and its axis of symmetry at x=2. It intersects the x-axis at x=0 and x=4, and the y-axis at y=0. The graph is also symmetrical about the axis of symmetry.

5. How can this function be used in real-life applications?

This function can be used to model various situations in real-life, such as the trajectory of a projectile, the shape of a bridge, or the profit of a business. It can also be used to calculate the roots (or solutions) of a quadratic equation, which can be useful in solving problems involving distance, time, or velocity.