Solving Factorial Algebra: P(n, 4) = 40[P(n-1, 2)]

In summary, the person is trying to find an equation for n!/(n-4)! using trial and error. They find an equation for n = 8, but are having trouble understanding how to solve for n-x.
DecayProduct

Homework Statement

P(n, 4) = 40[P(n-1, 2)]

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I boiled this down to the equation n!/(n-4)! = 40[(n-1)!/(n-3)!]. The problem is, I have no idea how to perform the correct operations on these factorials. I found the answer to be n = 8, but this was just trial and error. The factorials don't seem to behave like regular numbers, where cross multiplication or LCD would work. The textbook this comes from is old, and only glances over the factorials. I suppose a teacher's edition would provide more info. Any hints or tips, as usual, are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use the definition of the factorial to simplify:

[tex]n! = n(n{-}1)(n{-}2)\ldots \cdot 2\cdot 1[/tex]

[tex](n{-}4)! = (n{-}4)(n{-}3)\ldots \cdot 2\cdot 1[/tex]

So

[tex]n!/(n{-}4)! = n(n{-}1)(n{-}2)(n{-}3).[/tex]

Similarly on the right-hand side. Now cancel common factors. You should end up with a quadratic equation in n, with only one positive integer solution.

Avodyne said:
Just use the definition of the factorial to simplify:

[tex]n! = n(n{-}1)(n{-}2)\ldots \cdot 2\cdot 1[/tex]

[tex](n{-}4)! = (n{-}4)(n{-}3)\ldots \cdot 2\cdot 1[/tex]

So

[tex]n!/(n{-}4)! = n(n{-}1)(n{-}2)(n{-}3).[/tex]

Similarly on the right-hand side. Now cancel common factors. You should end up with a quadratic equation in n, with only one positive integer solution.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm just thick! My first experience with factorials is with this problem, so I just don't get it. Since I don't know n, how can I know how far to carry the (n-x)? As in here when you you say: [tex]n! = n(n{-}1)(n{-}2)\ldots \cdot 2\cdot 1[/tex]

I mean, n could be anything, so (n-1), (n-2),... (n-500)? An explanation of the factorial definition you stated would be great.

DecayProduct said:
I'm sorry, I guess I'm just thick!
Okay then, here's n! and (n-4)! again, but I expanded Avodyne's definition:
[tex]n! = n(n{-}1)(n{-}2)(n{-}3)(n{-}4)(n{-}5)\ldots \cdot 2\cdot 1[/tex]
and
[tex](n{-}4)! = (n{-}4)(n{-}5)\ldots \cdot 2\cdot 1[/tex]

Now,
[tex]\frac{n!}{(n{-}4)!} = \frac{n(n{-}1)(n{-}2)(n{-}3)(n{-}4)(n{-}5)\ldots \cdot 2\cdot 1}{(n{-}4)(n{-}5)\ldots \cdot 2\cdot 1}[/tex]

Notice how the factors (n - 4), (n - 5), all the way to 1, cancel out? So you're left over with

[tex]\frac{n!}{(n{-}4)!} = n(n{-}1)(n{-}2)(n{-}3).[/tex]

Now try with the right hand side and see what you get.

I actually ended up with a quartic, not a quadratic, with three positive roots and one negative one. The negative solution can be discarded, and so can two of the positive solutions (because they are small enough that makes (n-4) negative), which means the remaining positive number is the answer (which, as you said, is n=8).01

Last edited:

Related to Solving Factorial Algebra: P(n, 4) = 40[P(n-1, 2)]

1. What is the formula for solving factorial algebra?

The formula for solving factorial algebra is P(n, k) = n!/(n-k)!. This formula is used to calculate the number of permutations of k items from a set of n items.

2. How is P(n, k) related to n! and (n-k)!?

P(n, k) is equal to n! divided by (n-k)!. This means that P(n, k) is a combination of n! and (n-k)!, and is used to calculate the number of permutations of k items from a set of n items.

3. What does P(n, k) = 40[P(n-1, k-1)] represent?

This equation represents the recursive relationship between permutations. It means that the number of permutations of k items from a set of n items is equal to 40 times the number of permutations of k-1 items from a set of n-1 items. This can be used to solve for the value of n in the original equation P(n, 4) = 40[P(n-1, 2)].

4. How can we use P(n, k) to solve for the value of n in the equation P(n, 4) = 40[P(n-1, 2)]?

To solve for the value of n, we can plug in the known value of k (4) and use algebraic manipulation to solve for n. This can be done by dividing both sides of the equation by 40 and then using the formula P(n, k) = n!/(n-k)! to simplify the equation and solve for n.

5. What are some real-life applications of factorial algebra?

Factorial algebra is commonly used in mathematics and computer science to calculate the number of possible combinations and permutations in different scenarios. It can also be used in statistics to calculate probabilities and in optimization problems to find the most efficient solutions. In real-life, it can be applied in fields such as genetics, cryptography, and game theory.