Solving for A and B in p(x) and q(x) to prove A²+3B²=4

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult problem involving finding the largest root of two cubic polynomials and proving a mathematical equation. The participants provide various insights and approaches to solve it, with Opalg ultimately providing a solution by using techniques involving the roots of polynomials. The final answer is that A²+3B²=4.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Problem:
\(\displaystyle p(x)=4x^3-2x^2-15x+9\)
\(\displaystyle q(x)=12x^3+6x^2-7x+1\)

Let A be the largest root of \(\displaystyle p(x)\) and B the largest root of \(\displaystyle q(x)\). Show that \(\displaystyle A^2+3B^2=4\)

Hi all, this problem seems to be a little harder than usual for me and I hope someone will give me hint on how to solve it...

Thanks in advance. :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Prove that A²+3B²=4.

Hi, I'm not so sure on this one, but the root of p(x) and q(x)
are Complex.

I don't think we can compare complexe number so there is no ''Largest Root''

I'm not 100% certain about this.

Hopefully someone will confirm or show me wrong!

Barioth said:
Hi, I'm not so sure on this one, but the root of p(x) and q(x)
are Complex.

I don't think we can compare complexe number so there is no ''Largest Root''

I'm not 100% certain about this.

Hopefully someone will confirm or show me wrong!

Cubics with real coefficients always have at least one real root, on account of the Intermediate Value Theorem, and the behavior of the fastest-growing term $x^{3}$.

anemone said:
Problem:
\(\displaystyle p(x)=4x^3-2x^2-15x+9\)
\(\displaystyle q(x)=12x^3+6x^2-7x+1\)

Let A be the largest root of \(\displaystyle p(x)\) and B the largest root of \(\displaystyle q(x)\). Show that \(\displaystyle A^2+3B^2=4\)

Hi all, this problem seems to be a little harder than usual for me and I hope someone will give me hint on how to solve it...

Thanks in advance. :)
You're right, this looks like an unusually hard problem. I have a sort of solution, but I don't believe it can be the best one.

If $\alpha,\ \beta,\ \gamma$ are the roots of $x^3 - px^2 + qx - r$, then the polynomial whose roots are $\alpha^2,\ \beta^2,\ \gamma^2$ is $x^3 - (p^2-2q)x^2 + (q^2-2pr)x - r^2$. The polynomial whose roots are $3\alpha,\ 3\beta,\ 3\gamma$ is $x^3 - 3px^2 + 9qx - 27r$; and the polynomial whose roots are $4-\alpha,\ 4-\beta,\ 4-\gamma$ is $(4-x)^3 -p(4-x)^2 + q(4-x) - r.$ Using those techniques, you can check that if $A,\ A',\ A''$ are the roots of $4x^3-2x^2-15x+9$, then the polynomial with roots $4-A^2, 4-A'^2, 4-A''^2$ is $x^3 - \frac{17}4x^2 + \frac{37}{16}x -\frac3{16}$. If $B,\ B',\ B''$ are the roots of $12x^3 + 6x^2 - 7x + 1$, then the polynomial with roots $3B^2, 3B'^2, 3B''^2$ is exactly the same: $x^3 - \frac{17}4x^2 + \frac{37}{16}x -\frac3{16}$.

This shows that $4-A^2$ must be one of $3B^2, 3B'^2, 3B''^2$, but it doesn't tell you which of those three it is. You know for example that $B$ is the largest root of the polynomial $q(x)$, but that does not mean that $B^2$ is the largest root of the polynomial with roots $3B^2, 3B'^2, 3B''^2$. In fact, each of the given polynomials $p(x)$, $q(x)$ has a negative root that is larger than either of its positive roots. So when you square the roots, the negative root has the largest square. This means that the middle root of $x^3 - \frac{17}4x^2 + \frac{37}{16}x -\frac3{16}$ is the one that is equal to $4-A^2$ and $3B^2$, from which it follows that $A^2+3B^2=4.$

Afterthought: bad notation! After writing this out, I realized that I should not have used the letters $p,\ q,\ r$ for the coefficients in a cubic polynomial, because the given polynomials $p(x)$ and $q(x)$ already used the letters $p$ and $q$.

Last edited:

I finally understand how to solve it now! Thanks again, Opalg for this wonderful approach and I deeply appreciate the time and effort you've spent on solving this problem for me! :)

Related to Solving for A and B in p(x) and q(x) to prove A²+3B²=4

1. How do you prove that A² + 3B² = 4?

To prove this equation, we can use the method of mathematical induction. This involves showing that the equation holds for a base case (usually A = 1 and B = 1) and then assuming it holds for some arbitrary values of A and B, and using that assumption to prove that it holds for the next values of A and B. By repeating this process, we can show that the equation holds for all possible values of A and B.

2. What is the significance of A² + 3B² = 4 in mathematics?

This equation is known as a Diophantine equation, which is a type of equation in which only integer solutions are allowed. It has been extensively studied in number theory and has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as geometry and algebra. It also has applications in cryptography and coding theory.

3. Can you provide an example of A and B that satisfy A² + 3B² = 4?

Yes, for example, if we let A = 1 and B = 1, then 1² + 3(1)² = 4. Other possible solutions include A = 2 and B = 1, A = 1 and B = 2, or A = 0 and B = 2.

4. How can this equation be solved for A or B?

This equation cannot be solved for A or B in terms of a formula, as it is a Diophantine equation. However, we can use methods such as trial and error or modular arithmetic to find solutions.

5. Are there any other equations similar to A² + 3B² = 4?

Yes, there are infinite equations of the form A² + nB² = c, where n and c are constants and A and B are variables. These are known as generalized Pell equations and have been extensively studied in number theory.