Solving for a Constant: I.M Gelfand Trig Exercise 8 Explanation & Hint

• Thread starter cyberhat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
What's left will involve only x_X and y_X. In fact, if you plot the graph of that equation, you'll see that it is a circle with center at the midpoint of the segment from A to B. That is, the set of all points X such that AX^2- BX^2= AB^2 is a circle with center at the midpoint of the segment from A to B.In summary, the question is about finding the set of points for which AX^2- BX^2 is constant, given two points A and B in the plane. The answer, as given by the book, is a circle with its center at the midpoint of the segment from A to B. The process of
cyberhat
Hey guys,

I'm currently a freshman at my local community college. I felt the need to solidify my foundation in Trig so I am currently doing a self-study course.

The question is from I.M Gelfand's book on Trigonometry. Chapter 0, page 9, exercise 8.

8) Two points, A and B, are given in the plane. Describe the set of points for which AX^2-BX^2 is constant.

The chapter focuses on right triangles and Pythagorean theorem. Dunno if this will help but I think exercise 7 was given as a hint to solve exercise 8:

Two points, A and B, are given in the plane. Describe the set of points X such that AX^2+BX^2=AB^2.

The book gave the answer: "A circle with its center at the midpoint AB".

I understood exercise 7 after a couple of minutes, but exercise 8 is making me pull hairs!

My attempt at the solution was to manipulate AX^2-BX^2 and get rid of the negative sign...But even if it could be done, don't know how much help it would give me.

I'm not looking for complete answers -just a small hint. Can't spend 5 hours a day on one problem but don't want to forfeit thinking opportunities either.

P.S I don't know why, but I keep thinking this equation represents a rectangle of sorts.

Physics news on Phys.org
cyberhat said:
Hey guys,

I'm currently a freshman at my local community college. I felt the need to solidify my foundation in Trig so I am currently doing a self-study course.

The question is from I.M Gelfand's book on Trigonometry. Chapter 0, page 9, exercise 8.

8) Two points, A and B, are given in the plane. Describe the set of points for which AX^2-BX^2 is constant.
Are you sure this is how the problem is phrased? A point in the plane has two coordinates, so I don't understand what AX^2 means in this context.
cyberhat said:
The chapter focuses on right triangles and Pythagorean theorem. Dunno if this will help but I think exercise 7 was given as a hint to solve exercise 8:

Two points, A and B, are given in the plane. Describe the set of points X such that AX^2+BX^2=AB^2.

The book gave the answer: "A circle with its center at the midpoint AB".

I understood exercise 7 after a couple of minutes, but exercise 8 is making me pull hairs!

My attempt at the solution was to manipulate AX^2-BX^2 and get rid of the negative sign...But even if it could be done, don't know how much help it would give me.

I'm not looking for complete answers -just a small hint. Can't spend 5 hours a day on one problem but don't want to forfeit thinking opportunities either.

P.S I don't know why, but I keep thinking this equation represents a rectangle of sorts.

I suspect that "AX" means the distance from A to X so that we are asking for the set of all points, X, such that the distance for A to X, squared, minus the distance from B to X, squared, is equal to the distance from A to B, squared.

Take [itex]X= (x_X, y_X)[/itex], [itex]A= (x_A, y_A)[/itex], and [itex]B= (x_B, yb_)[/tex]. Then the equation is
[tex](x_X- x_A)^2+ (y_X- y_A)^2- (x_X- x_B)^2- (y_X- y_B)^2= (x_A- x_B)^2+ (y_A- y_B)^2[/tex]

Multiply those out and cancel as much as you can.

FAQ: Solving for a Constant: I.M Gelfand Trig Exercise 8 Explanation & Hint

What is "I.M Gelfand Trig Help"?

"I.M Gelfand Trig Help" is a book written by mathematician I.M Gelfand that provides a comprehensive guide to trigonometry. It covers topics such as trigonometric functions, identities, equations, and applications.

Who is I.M Gelfand?

I.M Gelfand was a renowned mathematician who made significant contributions to various fields of mathematics, including trigonometry. He is also known for his work in functional analysis, topology, and algebra.

Is "I.M Gelfand Trig Help" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "I.M Gelfand Trig Help" is suitable for beginners as it starts with basic concepts and gradually progresses to more advanced topics. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help readers understand the material better.

Can "I.M Gelfand Trig Help" be used as a textbook?

Yes, "I.M Gelfand Trig Help" can be used as a textbook for a trigonometry course. It provides a thorough and systematic approach to the subject, making it an ideal resource for students and instructors alike.

Where can I find "I.M Gelfand Trig Help"?

"I.M Gelfand Trig Help" is available for purchase online and in most major bookstores. It is also available in digital format for e-readers and tablets.