Solving for a Side in a Triangle: Law of Cosines

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for a specific side of a triangle using the law of cosines. The speaker has been able to derive two formulas but is struggling with finding a formula for side b and angle B. Suggestions are made for drawing a diagram and using concepts of dot products and vectors to solve the problem.
DecayProduct
This is more of a general question, than it is a homework problem.

If I have a triangle, angles A, B, and C, and corresponding sides a, b, and c, and I want to solve for anyone side I understand we use the law of cosines. So far I have been able to derive two of the formulae by dropping a vertical line to divide side b into two parts, x, and b-x. Sides a and c form the hypotenuses of the two right triangles formed by dividing b.

Doing a little algebraic magic, I get:

a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc cos A and
c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cos C

I am hung up on how to do this for side b and angle B. Side b does not form the hypotenuse of right triangle, and so I'm confused as to how to go about this. Anyone have a pointer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Adding a picture of the type of triangle you've drawn would help a great deal. On a side note do you know what a dot product is and how to add up vectors, because if you do there is a very easy way to derive the cosine rule.

OK, I whipped up a picture in paint. Sorry for its crudeness. As far as dot products and vectors, well, I haven't gotten there yet. I know of them is the most cursory way. I know what a vector is, but I don't know the math.

Attachments

• crude triangle.bmp
    231.3 KB · Views: 515
can't you just draw an altitude to either side a or c?

DecayProduct said:
This is more of a general question, than it is a homework problem.

If I have a triangle, angles A, B, and C, and corresponding sides a, b, and c, and I want to solve for anyone side I understand we use the law of cosines. So far I have been able to derive two of the formulae by dropping a vertical line to divide side b into two parts, x, and b-x. Sides a and c form the hypotenuses of the two right triangles formed by dividing b.

Doing a little algebraic magic, I get:

a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc cos A and
c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cos C

I am hung up on how to do this for side b and angle B. Side b does not form the hypotenuse of right triangle, and so I'm confused as to how to go about this. Anyone have a pointer?

[tex]b^2 = a^2 + c^2 - 2ac(cos B)[/tex]

FAQ: Solving for a Side in a Triangle: Law of Cosines

1. What is the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Cosines is a mathematical formula used to find the length of a side in a triangle when given the lengths of the other two sides and the angle between them. It is often used when solving for an unknown side in a non-right triangle.

2. When should the Law of Cosines be used?

The Law of Cosines should be used when solving for an unknown side in a triangle that is not a right triangle. It is also useful when the angles and sides of the triangle are known, but the angle between the two known sides is not.

3. How is the Law of Cosines formula written?

The formula for the Law of Cosines is c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cos(C), where c is the unknown side, a and b are the known sides, and C is the angle between them.

4. What information is needed to use the Law of Cosines?

To use the Law of Cosines, you will need to know the lengths of two sides of the triangle and the measure of the angle between them. Additionally, you will need to know whether the given angle is in degrees or radians, as this will affect the calculation.

5. Can the Law of Cosines be used to find any side of a triangle?

Yes, the Law of Cosines can be used to find any side of a triangle as long as the lengths of the other two sides and the angle between them are known. However, if the triangle is a right triangle, it is more efficient to use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of the missing side.