Solving for Acceleration in a Moving Railroad Car: Newton's Law Explained

• Thread starter stanton
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a 3kg object hanging from a rope attached to the ceiling of a railroad car. The rope forms a 4 degree angle with the vertical when the car accelerates to the right. Using the equations sigma F=ma and tension*cos(theta) = mg, it is possible to find the acceleration of the car. By combining these equations and solving for the acceleration, the answer is found to be 0.69m/s^2.
stanton

Homework Statement

A 3kg object hangs at one end of a rope that is attached to a the ceiling of a railroad car. When the car accelerates to the right, the rope makes an angle of 4 degrees with the vertical. Find the acceleration of the car.
the answer is 0.69m/s^2

Homework Equations

sigma F=ma, tension*cos(theta) = mg, Fnet - ma = 0
yup. looks good to me. but I don't what values to plug in.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I draw free body diagram. gravity acts on the string. And I thought I could make some equation like Fsin(delta) like sort of thing by drawing triangle with 4 degree and...oh, I got all messed up.
I tried to use an equation :tension*cos(theta) = mg
plug value: tension*cos(4)=3.0x9.81 I think I can figure out what the tension is. However,
I do not know how to get the acceleration.
will you please help me?
I would be very appreciated if you give me specific procedure how the answer came out by giving information about what equation was used and so forth. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The first equation you found is correct:

[tex]T \cos \theta =mg[/tex]

Using Newton's second law you should also be able to show that:

[tex]ma=T sin \theta[/tex]

Combine the two equations to find [tex]a[/tex].

My, I didn't know this can be solved so easily. I remember my teacher said about it, but I lost my note. When I followed your advice and used the equation i am given, I got my result 0.685! Thank you so much. Have a nice day =)

Related to Solving for Acceleration in a Moving Railroad Car: Newton's Law Explained

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles developed by Sir Isaac Newton to describe the behavior of objects in motion. They state that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that objects will not change their state of motion unless a force is applied to them.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the larger the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more mass an object has, the less it will accelerate.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when a force is applied to an object, the object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction. This is why we feel a force pushing back when we push on a wall.

5. How do Newton's laws of motion apply in everyday life?

Newton's laws of motion can be observed and applied in everyday life in many ways. For example, the first law explains why objects stay in place unless a force is applied to them, such as why a book stays on a table until someone picks it up. The second law can be seen in sports, where a greater force leads to a greater acceleration, such as hitting a baseball with a bat. The third law can be observed in actions such as rowing a boat, where the rower pushes against the water, and the water pushes back to propel the boat forward.

Back