Solving for 'b': Current in a Loop w/ Bsin(1000t+b)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the phase angle for a steady-state current through a loop, which is determined to be 0.46 radians per second. The conversation also addresses mistakes in calculations involving the use of Ohm's law and the impedance of an inductor, and offers tips for correctly finding the total impedance and applying Ohm's law. The use of the equations ##Z_L = j \omega L## and ##Z_C = \frac{1}{j \omega C}## is also mentioned.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

steady-state current through the loop will be of the form Bsin(1000t +b). What is the phase angle 'b'? in rads

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

600648246d.jpg

0059633f4b.jpg

[/B]
The answer is meant to be 0.46rads/s. However I am getting 9.65x10^-5??
I have no idea what I did wrong.

I first converted everything into the phasor domain. Then I used voltage division to get the voltage drop across the resistor. Then I used Ohms Law to get the current through the resistor which is the same as the current through the circuit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your calculation for the impedance of the inductor. The formula for the impedance of an inductor is not he same as that of a capacitor.

Don't be afraid to promote j's in the denominator to the numerator. If you have a value like ##1/0.25j##, then this can become ##-4j##.

You don't need to do any voltage division here. Simply sum up the impedances to find the total impedance. Then apply Ohm's law directly: ##I = E/Z## (where E is the applied potential difference across Z).

gneill said:
Check your calculation for the impedance of the inductor. The formula for the impedance of an inductor is not he same as that of a capacitor.

Don't be afraid to promote j's in the denominator to the numerator. If you have a value like ##1/0.25j##, then this can become ##-4j##.

You don't need to do any voltage division here. Simply sum up the impedances to find the total impedance. Then apply Ohm's law directly: ##I = E/Z## (where E is the applied potential difference across Z).
Ah.
Finally got it. Thank you soo much.
It says in my lecture notes that inductors can be described be V = jwLI or I = 1/jwL * V
It says nothing else. How do I know like what to use when? I mean say I am converting a 2H inductance into the phasor form, how do I know what to use?

##Z_L = j \omega L##

##Z_C = \frac{1}{j \omega C}##

Related to Solving for 'b': Current in a Loop w/ Bsin(1000t+b)

1. What is the purpose of solving for 'b' in this equation?

The variable 'b' represents the initial phase or starting point of the current in the loop. Solving for 'b' allows us to determine the specific value of the phase and accurately model the behavior of the current over time.

2. How is the value of 'b' related to the current in the loop?

The value of 'b' directly affects the amplitude and phase of the current in the loop. A change in the value of 'b' will result in a corresponding change in the current's behavior.

3. Can 'b' have a negative value in this equation?

Yes, 'b' can have a negative value in this equation. The negative sign indicates a phase shift of 180 degrees, resulting in a change in direction of the current in the loop.

4. How do you solve for 'b' in this equation?

To solve for 'b', we need to have at least one known value for the current and the time. We can then substitute these values into the equation and use algebraic techniques to isolate 'b' on one side of the equation.

5. Can the value of 'b' vary over time?

Yes, the value of 'b' can vary over time in this equation. This is because the phase of the current may change due to external factors, such as changes in the magnetic field or variations in the loop's orientation.