Solving for Central Force in $r = c\theta^2$ Orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of $-mf(r)e_r$ in a question involving a particle of mass m moving under the influence of a central force. The orbit of the particle is given by $r = c\theta^2$, and the goal is to determine $f(r)$. The conversation includes equations for central acceleration and the preservation of angular momentum, and discusses the use of a substitution to make the problem easier to solve. The conversation ends with the participants still working on the problem and hoping for new insights in the morning.
Carla1985
Could someone please explain how I work with $-mf(r)e_r$ in this question. Usually we get given an equation (like the one for f(r)) and have to work out the orbit by getting a differential equation etc. I'm not too sure how to work it this way around.

"A particle of mass m moves under the influence of a central force $\textbf{F}(\textbf{r}) =−mf(r)e_r$, in the orbit

$r = c\theta^2$, (1)

where c > 0 and (r, θ) and er , eθ are the polar co-ordinates and corresponding basis vectors in the plane of motion of the particle. Show that:
\[
f(r)=-h^2(\frac{6c}{r^4}+\frac{1}{r^3})
\]
where $r^2\dot{\theta}=h$ is constant

[Hint: Use the substitution $u(\theta)=\frac{1}{r(\theta}$ to write the radial equation $\ddot{r}-r\dot{\theta}^2=-f(r)$ in terms of u(θ), and then determine f using this equation and (1).]"

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Carla1985 said:
Could someone please explain how I work with $-mf(r)e_r$ in this question. Usually we get given an equation (like the one for f(r)) and have to work out the orbit by getting a differential equation etc. I'm not too sure how to work it this way around.

"A particle of mass m moves under the influence of a central force $\textbf{F}(\textbf{r}) =−mf(r)e_r$, in the orbit

$r = c\theta^2$, (1)

where c > 0 and (r, θ) and er , eθ are the polar co-ordinates and corresponding basis vectors in the plane of motion of the particle. Show that:
\[
f(r)=-h^2(\frac{6c}{r^4}+\frac{1}{r^3})
\]
where $r^2\dot{\theta}=h$ is constant

[Hint: Use the substitution $u(\theta)=\frac{1}{r(\theta}$ to write the radial equation $\ddot{r}-r\dot{\theta}^2=-f(r)$ in terms of u(θ), and then determine f using this equation and (1).]"

Hi Carla!

Your equations are:

\(\displaystyle \ddot r - r \dot \theta^2=-f(r) \qquad\) central acceleration
\(\displaystyle r^2\dot \theta = h \qquad\qquad\qquad\) preservation of angular momentum in a conservative central field
\(\displaystyle r=c\theta^2 \qquad\qquad\qquad\) the given orbit

Can you solve $f(r)$ from these, expressing it using only $r$?

I'm not sure how to do the $\ddot{r}$ part. I rearranged $r=c\dot{\theta}^2$ for theta and subbed that into get
$f(r)=-(\ddot{r}-\frac{h^2}{r^3})$

I differentiated r and got $\dot{r}=2c\theta\dot{\theta}$
and then subbed in theta again: $\frac{2ch\theta}{r^2}$ and then did the same thing again to get $\ddot{r}=\frac{2ch}{r^2}\theta\dot{\theta}=\frac{2ch^2}{r^2}\theta$ which doesn't add up at all.

I think the hint is confusing me too, it says to do a substitution u=1/r which we always do our other questions but I'm not sure where that applies here.

The substitution simply makes some of the problem easier to work. But it is not necessary. See if you can finish it the way I like Serena is helping you with. It will help if you if you then want to go back and use the hint.

-Dan

Thanks, I am still working on it thought I think I am going to take a break and get some sleep. its past midnight and the kids will have me up at 7am lol. I am so close its frustrating though.
I have $\ddot{r}=\frac{2ch^2\theta}{r^4}$ instead of $\frac{6ch^2}{r^4}$ and I cannot for the life of me see how I get rid of theta and get a 3 instead.

Maybe a fresh look in the morning will tell me where I've gone wrong though hehe.

Carla1985 said:
Maybe a fresh look in the morning will tell me where I've gone wrong though hehe.

Well... the morning has passed.
Any new insights? ;)

Related to Solving for Central Force in $r = c\theta^2$ Orbit

1. What is central force in the context of $r = c\theta^2$ orbit?

Central force refers to the force acting on an object that is directed towards a fixed point, known as the center of force. In $r = c\theta^2$ orbit, this force is responsible for keeping the object in a circular path around the center of force.

2. How is central force related to the equation $r = c\theta^2$?

The equation $r = c\theta^2$ represents the polar form of a conic section, specifically a parabola. The constant c represents the central force, as it determines the shape and size of the orbit. The larger the value of c, the stronger the central force and the larger the orbit.

3. What are the steps for solving for central force in $r = c\theta^2$ orbit?

To solve for central force in $r = c\theta^2$ orbit, you will need to follow these steps:

1. Convert the equation to Cartesian coordinates to get an equation in the form of $y = mx + b$.
  2. Use the formula for centripetal force, $F = \frac{mv^2}{r}$, to find the force acting on the object.
  3. Set this force equal to the force of gravity, $F = \frac{GMm}{r^2}$, where G is the gravitational constant, M and m are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.
  4. Substitute the equation for $r = c\theta^2$ into the gravitational force equation and solve for c.
  5. The value of c represents the central force in the $r = c\theta^2$ orbit.

4. Can central force be negative in $r = c\theta^2$ orbit?

Yes, central force can be negative in $r = c\theta^2$ orbit. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to slow down and potentially move towards the center of force.

5. How does changing the value of c affect the orbit in $r = c\theta^2$ orbit?

Changing the value of c in $r = c\theta^2$ orbit will affect the size and shape of the orbit. A larger value of c will result in a larger orbit, while a smaller value of c will result in a smaller orbit. Additionally, a negative value of c will result in a hyperbolic orbit rather than a circular or elliptical orbit.