Solving for Distance: Ship A and B at 4pm

• Thread starter Unknown9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ship
In summary: However, don't forget to convert your answer to km/hr since the distance is in km and the time is in hours.So, in summary, at 4:00pm, the distance between the two ships is changing at a rate of 215 km/hr.
Unknown9

Homework Statement

At noon, ship A is 150km west of ship B. Ship A is sailing east at 35km/h and ship B is sailing north at 25km/h. HOw fast is the distance between the ships changing at 4:00pm.

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to draw a picture of the problem, but I don't know where to go from there, and I also understand that I am trying to solve for dz/dt, but I have no clue how to do that, please help :).

Physics news on Phys.org
Unknown9 said:

Homework Statement

At noon, ship A is 150km west of ship B. Ship A is sailing east at 35km/h and ship B is sailing north at 25km/h. HOw fast is the distance between the ships changing at 4:00pm.

Homework Equations

??

I was able to draw a picture of the problem, but I don't know where to go from there, and I also understand that I am trying to solve for dz/dt, but I have no clue how to do that, please help :).

Show us your work. Then we can offer tutorial hints. You need to do the work here at the PF.

berkeman said:
Show us your work. Then we can offer tutorial hints. You need to do the work here at the PF.

What? You mean to tell me you won't do my work for me? :O

Here's what I got so far.
dx/dt = 35km/h,,, dy/dt = 25km/h,,, dz/dt = ?

Then we'll use the z2 = x2 + y2

Then we implicit differentiate it in regards to time.

2z(dz/dt) = dx(dx/dt) + 2y(dy/dt)

Solve for dz/dt

(dz/dt) = (1/z)(x*(dx/dt) + y*(dy/dt))

This is where I start to get a little confused... I know we plug in dy/dt and dx/dt into the equation, but what's z? and is dz/dt what I'm looking for?

So then I have (dz/dt) = (1/z) * (35x + 25y), so would the xyz be the distance? Like 150 as x and...?

Calculus1:Related rates

I'll give this a better title so people know what I'm talking about :).

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x2+y2 = z2

Here's what I got so far.

dx/dt = 35km/h,,, dy/dt = 25km/h,,, dz/dt = ?

Then we'll use the z2 = x2 + y2

Then we implicit differentiate it in regards to time.

2z(dz/dt) = dx(dx/dt) + 2y(dy/dt)

Solve for dz/dt

(dz/dt) = (1/z)(x*(dx/dt) + y*(dy/dt))

This is where I start to get a little confused... I know we plug in dy/dt and dx/dt into the equation, but what's z? and is dz/dt what I'm looking for?

You need to take into account the positions of both ships at time t. Let At and Bt be the coordinates of the two ships at time t. Let's suppose that ship A is at the origin at noon, so the coordinates of A0 are (0, 0) and the coordinates of B0 are (150, 0) at noon.

Ship A is moving east (to the right) at 35 km/hr, so what are its coordinates at an arbitrary time t? Ship B is moving north (upward) at 25 km/hr, so what are its coordinates at time t?

Get an equation for the distance between points At and Bt, then differentiate both sides of that equation, and evaluate it when t = 4 (4:00pm).

You almost got it..bear in mind that noon means 12:00, so from noon to 4:00 the 2 ships traveled 4 hours already...continue your work from there.

Unknown9,
You posted the same problem twice, which is not a good thing to do. The other thread you started is here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=345299.

Merged the two threads. Do not multiple post, Unknown9.

So I got z = sqr( (150-x)^2 + y^2)

Then I differentiated that and got.

dz/dt = 1/2( (150-x)^2 + y^2)^-1/2 * (-2(dx/dt)(150-x) + 2y(dy/dt))

when I plugged in the numbers, which I used x as 140 y as 100, and dx/dt as 35 and dy/dt as 25, I got

dz/dt = 1/(2*sqrt(10,100)) * 4300

am I close?

I got the same result.

Related to Solving for Distance: Ship A and B at 4pm

1. How do you solve for the distance between two ships at a specific time?

To solve for the distance between two ships at a specific time, you need to know the speed of each ship and their respective starting positions. Then, you can use the formula d = rt, where d is the distance, r is the rate or speed, and t is the time. Plug in the values for both ships and calculate the distance between them.

2. What units should be used for the speed and distance in the formula?

The units for speed and distance should be consistent. For example, if the speed is given in miles per hour, the distance should be in miles as well. This ensures that the final answer will have the correct units.

3. How does the direction of the ships affect the calculation of distance?

The direction of the ships does not affect the calculation of distance. The formula d = rt only takes into account the speed and time, not the direction of movement. However, if the ships are moving in opposite directions, the distance between them at a given time will increase, while if they are moving in the same direction, the distance between them will decrease.

4. Can this formula be used to solve for the distance between more than two ships?

Yes, this formula can be used to solve for the distance between any number of ships. You would need to know the speed and starting position of each ship, and then use the formula d = rt for each pair of ships to calculate the distance between them.

5. Is there a more accurate way to calculate the distance between two moving objects?

Yes, there are more advanced methods for calculating the distance between two moving objects, such as using vector equations or considering the acceleration of the objects. However, for simple scenarios where the speed of the objects is constant, the d = rt formula is sufficient.