Solving for Earth's Velocity After Collision with Asteroid

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving the velocity of Earth and primitive Earth, and the attempts to solve it using the inelastic equation. However, the calculated velocity of 29.65 km/s is deemed incorrect due to the Earth's current rotational velocity of 30 km/s. The conversation also considers a related problem involving the origin of the Moon and the impact of a large asteroid. The missing information and assumptions needed to accurately solve the problem are also discussed.
smh001
I am trying to solve a physics problem involving the velocity of Earth and primitive earth. I have solved it using m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)v2 for inelastic equation and get a velocity of 29.65 km/s. Which I think is incorrect since the Earth's rotational velocity today is 30 km/s. But I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Any help on how to correctly solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Problem: The leading theory for the origin of the Moon suggests that a large asteroid the size of Mars struck the Earth. Some of the asteroid material and some of the terrestrial material combined to form the Moon. Assume the combined mass today of the Earth and Moon equals the combined mass of the primitive Earth and the asteroid. Also assume that the asteroid struck the Earth at about 10 km/s. Assume the collision was inelastic.

How much did the Earth's orbital speed change as a result of the collision

Present Earth -
Mass = 5.97 x 10^24
Velocity = 30 km/s

Moon
Mass = .0735 x 10^24
Velocity = 1 km/s

Need velocity of primitive earth

Thank you for any assistance in solving this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you assume that your answer is wrong? Taking the sun out of the picture and assuming a 2 ball collision, its seems plausible that the Earth was moving slower than vs now.

I went ahead and put in my answer for the difference in change between primitive Earth and present Earth in the online website. My answer for the homework is wrong. Plus being a geology major, it just didn't seem right. I would have thought due to the conditions of the Earth back then, it would have been rotating faster.

I didn't take into account the collision of the asteroid at 10 km/s. I am wondering if I need to in order to get the correct answer.

for sure I'd stick that in as the question tells you do so. Seee if that helps.

The direction of the impact, and whether any rotational energy was transferred should be taken into account. There's not enough information in the OP to solve the problem.

agreed, that's why I think the simplest assumptions possible should be made.

Related to Solving for Earth's Velocity After Collision with Asteroid

1. What is the impact of an asteroid collision on Earth's velocity?

The impact of an asteroid collision on Earth's velocity can vary depending on the size and speed of the asteroid. In general, however, the collision will cause a change in Earth's velocity due to the transfer of momentum from the asteroid to Earth.

2. How do you calculate Earth's velocity after a collision with an asteroid?

To calculate Earth's velocity after a collision with an asteroid, you would need to know the mass and velocity of both Earth and the asteroid before the collision, as well as the angle and speed at which the asteroid impacts Earth. These values can be used in equations of momentum and conservation of energy to determine the change in Earth's velocity.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating Earth's velocity after a collision with an asteroid?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating Earth's velocity after a collision with an asteroid. These include uncertainties in the measurements of the asteroid's mass and velocity, the composition and density of the asteroid, and any external forces acting on Earth during the collision.

4. Can computer simulations be used to solve for Earth's velocity after a collision with an asteroid?

Yes, computer simulations can be used to solve for Earth's velocity after a collision with an asteroid. These simulations use mathematical models and algorithms to simulate the motion and impact of the asteroid on Earth, taking into account various factors such as mass, velocity, and angle of impact.

5. Is it possible to predict the exact velocity of Earth after a collision with an asteroid?

No, it is not possible to predict the exact velocity of Earth after a collision with an asteroid. This is because there are many variables and uncertainties involved in the collision, making it difficult to accurately calculate the resulting velocity. However, with advanced computer simulations and more precise measurements, we can make more accurate predictions.