Solving for Electron Acceleration and Time in a Television Tube - Homework Help

• Thread starter elimenohpee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, in a television tube, electrons are accelerated from rest to a speed of 2 x 108 ms-1 in a distance of 1.50 cm and strike the fluorescent material at the end of the tube, producing the picture we see. The acceleration of the electrons is approximately 1.3 x 1018 m/s2, and the time it takes for the acceleration to occur is 1.5 x 10-10 seconds. While this acceleration may seem large, it is reasonable in the context of non-relativistic physics.
elimenohpee

Homework Statement

In a television tube, electrons travel down the tube and strike the fluorescent material at
the end of the tube. Their impact with this material causes light to be emitted, thereby producing
the picture we see. The electrons are accelerated from rest to a speed of 2 x 108 ms-1 in a distance
of 1.50 cm.
(i) What is the acceleration of an electron during this process? (10 marks)
(ii) How long does the acceleration take?

Homework Equations

(i) the acceleration I calculated seems WAY too large. I know the acceleration will be big, but I didn't think it could exceed the speed of light due to the theory of relativity.

(ii) the time to accelerate makes sense, but I think its wrong because I calculated the acceleration wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) I used the equation that doesn't involve time, only velocity, initial velocity, position and time:
v^2 = v^2(0) + 2a (x - x0)
(2*10^8)^2 = 0 + 2a (0.015m - 0)
a = 1.3 * 10^18 ?

(ii) with a = 1.3 * 10^18, I just plugged it into x = 0.5a(t^2), solved for t and got t = 1.5 * 10^-10 s

Physics news on Phys.org
Extremely large accelerations do happen in these tubes.
But the speed given in the question - more than half the speed of light - indicates you should be using relativity formulas instead of Newtonian ones.

Can you teach me how to do this?
If you aren't in a relativity class, maybe you aren't supposed to worry about relativity.

Its not in a relativity class, its just an introductory course to Newtonian physics. I know we aren't supposed to know about relativity at this point, but that acceleration just didn't make sense to me. Can anyone verify if this is right?

I haven't gone through all the calculator work, but it certainly appears to be correct and the acceleration is reasonable. In a non-relativity course, you have it done correctly.

FAQ: Solving for Electron Acceleration and Time in a Television Tube - Homework Help

What is 1-D motion?

1-D motion refers to the movement of an object along a straight line. It is also known as linear motion and only involves changes in position along one axis.

What are the main equations used to solve simple 1-D motion problems?

The main equations used to solve simple 1-D motion problems are the equations of motion, which include displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These equations are:
- Displacement: d = vf - vi
- Velocity: v = d/t
- Acceleration: a = (vf - vi)/t

How do I determine the direction of motion in a 1-D motion problem?

The direction of motion in a 1-D motion problem is determined by the sign of the velocity. If the velocity is positive, the object is moving in the positive direction, while a negative velocity indicates motion in the negative direction.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity refers to the total displacement of an object over a certain period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity can be calculated using the displacement and time, while instantaneous velocity requires knowledge of the object's position at that moment.

How are acceleration and velocity related in 1-D motion?

Acceleration and velocity are directly related in 1-D motion. If an object is accelerating, its velocity is changing. This means that the object's velocity will be different at different points in time, and the change in velocity will be reflected in the acceleration value.