Solving for F: A Visual Approach

In summary, the solution for finding F from the given picture is to use the vector field -4y\vec{i} + 4x\vec{j} which has a magnitude of 4r at a distance r from the z-axis where r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2).
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7535/38187200.th.jpg

I need to find F from the picture above

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer so far is:

[tex] \frac{-y}{(x^2+y^2)} \vec{i} + \frac{x}{(x^2+y^2)} \vec{j} [/tex]

is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. The magnitude is at a distance r from the z-axis should be 4r. recall that [tex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]. Note that your "answer so far" has the properties depicted except that it has magnitude 1/r at a distance r from the z-axis.

so it should then be:

[tex] \frac{-y}{4(x^2+y^2)} \vec{i} + \frac{x}{4(x^2+y^2)} \vec{j} [/tex]

Does [tex]\sqrt{\left(\frac{-y}{4(x^2+y^2)}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{x}{4(x^2+y^2)}\right)^2}=4\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]?

No. Look, [tex]-y\vec{i}+x\vec{j}[/tex] is a vector field whose vectors point in all the right directions, make them the proper length.

I have no clue... I've tried [tex] -4y\vec{i} + 4x\vec{j} [/tex] and it seems to be wrong as well

-EquinoX- said:

Homework Statement

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7535/38187200.th.jpg

I need to find F from the picture above

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer so far is:

[tex] \frac{-y}{(x^2+y^2)} \vec{i} + \frac{x}{(x^2+y^2)} \vec{j} [/tex]

is this correct?

benorin said:
No. The magnitude is at a distance r from the z-axis should be 4r. recall that [tex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]. Note that your "answer so far" has the properties depicted except that it has magnitude 1/r at a distance r from the z-axis.

-EquinoX- said:
so it should then be:

[tex] \frac{-y}{4(x^2+y^2)} \vec{i} + \frac{x}{4(x^2+y^2)} \vec{j} [/tex]
As benorin said, your first attempt had magnitude 1/r and it should be 4r. For your second attempt you just divided by 4. That makes the magnitude 1/4r, not 4r. You need to multiply your first answer by 4r2= 4(x2+ y2).

Last edited by a moderator:
so it's just simply:

[tex]-4y\vec{i} + 4x\vec{j}[/tex]

Related to Solving for F: A Visual Approach

1. What is "Solving for F: A Visual Approach"?

"Solving for F: A Visual Approach" is a problem-solving method that uses visual aids, such as diagrams and graphs, to solve mathematical equations. It is often used in science and engineering fields to make complex equations easier to understand and solve.

2. How does "Solving for F: A Visual Approach" work?

This method involves breaking down the equation into smaller parts and using visual aids to represent each part. These visual aids can include diagrams, graphs, or even physical models. By visually representing the equation, it becomes easier to manipulate and solve.

3. What are the benefits of using "Solving for F: A Visual Approach"?

"Solving for F: A Visual Approach" can help make complex equations more understandable and easier to solve. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the relationship between different variables in an equation. Additionally, it can help identify errors or mistakes in the equation more easily.

4. Can "Solving for F: A Visual Approach" be used for all types of equations?

Yes, "Solving for F: A Visual Approach" can be used for all types of equations, including algebraic, trigonometric, and even differential equations. However, the level of complexity may vary for different types of equations.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using "Solving for F: A Visual Approach"?

One potential drawback of using this method is that it may not always be practical or efficient for every equation. Some equations may be easier to solve using traditional methods, and it may take some time to create visual aids for more complex equations. Additionally, visual aids may not always be accurate or precise, leading to potential errors in the solution.

Back