Solving for F3 Magnitude and Theta Given F1 and F2

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of F3 expressed in terms of F1 and the angle theta, given that F2 is half of F1 and the three concurrent forces produce a resultant force of 0. The relationship between the angle theta and the horizontal or vertical components of F1 and F2 must be considered in order to solve for theta and ultimately determine the magnitude of F3.
quantum_enhan
The three concurrent forces acting on the post produce a resultant force of 0. If F2 = 0.5F1, and F1 is to be 90 degrees from F2 as shown, determine the required magnitude F3 expressed in terms of F1 and the angle theta.

I am having no troubles finding the magnitude of F3, however, I am having trouble understanding how to get theta. Apparently the angle formed by F1 and F2, plus ninety degress, gives you the answer. However, I'm not seeing the relationship. Help?
gay.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Use theta to find the angle that F2 (and F1) makes with the horizontal.

Wouldnt you want to find the angle that F2 (and F1) makes with the vertical, then add 90 degrees to find theta?

quantum_enhan said:
Wouldnt you want to find the angle that F2 (and F1) makes with the vertical, then add 90 degrees to find theta?
That also would work. Give it a try.

Express the angle that F1 and F2 make with the vertical or the horizontal in terms of theta. Then you can solve for theta.

For the vectors to cancel out, the combination of F1 and F2 must result in a vector having the same magnitude as F3 but having opposite direction.

So, to start, find the x-components of F1 and F2. Add them together to get the magnitude of F3. Then substitute what you know about the angles.

Related to Solving for F3 Magnitude and Theta Given F1 and F2

1. How do I solve for F3 magnitude and theta given F1 and F2?

To solve for F3 magnitude and theta, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. First, square both F1 and F2, then add them together to find the magnitude of the resultant force, F3. To find theta, use the inverse tangent function to find the angle between F3 and the horizontal axis.

2. What if I only have two given forces, F1 and F2?

If you only have two given forces, you can still solve for F3 magnitude and theta. Use the same method as mentioned in the first question, but set the missing force (F3) equal to zero. This will give you the magnitude and direction of the resultant force, which can then be used to find the missing force.

3. Can I use the formula F3 = F1 + F2 to solve for F3 magnitude?

No, you cannot use the formula F3 = F1 + F2 to solve for F3 magnitude as it only works for forces in the same direction. To solve for F3 magnitude, you must use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to find the resultant force.

4. How do I determine the direction of F3?

The direction of F3 can be determined by finding the angle between F3 and the horizontal axis using the inverse tangent function. This angle, also known as theta, will give you the direction of the resultant force.

5. Can I use this method for any type of forces, or only for forces in the same plane?

This method can only be used for forces in the same plane. If the forces are not in the same plane, you will need to use vector addition to find the resultant force. This involves breaking the forces into their components and using vector addition to find the resultant force and its direction.

Back