Solving for Imaginary Solutions in Second-Order Differential Equations

In summary, to show that the imaginary part of the solution of z''+z'+z=te^{it} is a solution of y''+y'+y=tsin{t}, you can simply put z(t) = f(t) + ig(t) into the original equation and equate the imaginary parts. This will show that g(t) is a solution of the second equation.
cragar

Homework Statement

Show that the imaginary part of the solution of
[itex] z''+z'+z=te^{it} [/itex] is a solution of [itex] y''+y'+y=tsin{t} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I first make the guess that [itex] z(t)=(at+b)e^{it} [/itex]
then I find z' and z'' and plug it back in and then equate the coefficients of t and then all the leftover constants.

I do this and I get a=-i and b=(2i+1)
so then I plug this in back to the original guess for z(t) and then multiply it by Eulers formula
and then take the imaginary part and see if it works for y(t). Is this the right approach.
I seem to be off by a cosine factor, I could post my work, but I just wanted to know if this is the right approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:

Homework Statement

Show that the imaginary part of the solution of
[itex] z''+z'+z=te^{it} [/itex] is a solution of [itex] y''+y'+y=tsin{t} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I first make the guess that [itex] z(t)=(at+b)e^{it} [/itex]
then I find z' and z'' and plug it back in and then equate the coefficients of t and then all the leftover constants.

I do this and I get a=-i and b=(2i+1)
so then I plug this in back to the original guess for z(t) and then multiply it by Eulers formula
and then take the imaginary part and see if it works for y(t). Is this the right approach.
I seem to be off by a cosine factor, I could post my work, but I just wanted to know if this is the right approach.

Frankly, I think you're working too hard. :wink:

Why don't you just try putting [itex]z(t) = f(t) + ig(t)[/itex] into the LHS of the original equation, where f(t) and g(t) are both real-valued functions of t? Then express the RHS as [itex]t\cos t + it\sin t[/itex]. You will immediately see, by equating the imaginary parts, that g(t) has to be a solution of the second equation.

ya that way is more slick, thanks for the help

FAQ: Solving for Imaginary Solutions in Second-Order Differential Equations

What is the concept of undetermined coefficients?

Undetermined coefficients is a method used in mathematics to solve linear ordinary differential equations with constant coefficients. It involves finding a particular solution to the equation by assuming a form for the solution and then solving for the coefficients.

Why is the method of undetermined coefficients used?

The method of undetermined coefficients is used because it provides a systematic way to find particular solutions to linear differential equations. It is often used when the equation is non-homogeneous and the homogeneous solution is already known.

What are the limitations of the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients can only be used for linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It also requires that the non-homogeneous terms in the equation are of a certain form, such as polynomials, exponential functions, or trigonometric functions.

How do you determine the form of the particular solution in the method of undetermined coefficients?

The form of the particular solution is determined by the non-homogeneous terms in the equation. For example, if the non-homogeneous term is a polynomial of degree n, the particular solution will be a polynomial of degree n. If the non-homogeneous term is an exponential function, the particular solution will be an exponential function.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the method of undetermined coefficients?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using the method of undetermined coefficients include assuming the wrong form for the particular solution, not including all possible terms in the particular solution, and not considering any restrictions on the coefficients in the particular solution. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the method and check the solution to ensure it satisfies the original equation.

Back